Holding breath, breathing out in seconds

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by frankmike, Jul 22, 2010.

1. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    Hi I recently read here that someone could breath out for 75 seconds, so I decided to test myself

I can breathe out for 45 seconds

and I can hold my breath for 105 seconds

is it good?

let me hear your scores

beware not to suffocate -take care do not push the envelope

it can be dangerous

do it only if youre comfortable

2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    What happens in the other 60 secs? :huh:

3. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    you wonder about discrepancy? well basicaly I can go w/o breathing for 105seconds, but if I breathe out than I run out of air after 45 seconds, I have nothing left to breathe out. I could basically just sit for another 60 seconds w/o inhaling, but that is stupid

4. trickg

trickg Utimate User

Oct 26, 2003
    Baltimore/DC
    Clear back when I was still in high school and I was a student aid for the band director while the 6th grade band had band class, I used to do a game with them as part of the warm up where we would all start on a note of our choice (it sounded pretty raucous at first) and we'd hold it for as long as we could - the contest was to see who could play the longest single note. Once a week I'd give a dollar to the winner - this was so that they'd work on it. The idea of course was to build breath control, and it worked. The kids who worked on it went from being able to play from about 15-20 seconds to 45-60 seconds in a couple of weeks.

When I was in basic training, there were times I was so bored sitting doing nothing at the ranges during BRM that I would sit there and time myself to see how long I could hold my breath. I got it to a full two minutes a couple of times.

Not sure if this has a practical application to trumpet playing.

5. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would prefer to play during that time. No time for useless messing around.