Holes in a natural baroque trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Lionelsax, Mar 3, 2014.

1. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I've got a big question, in the baroque area, natural trumpets were used but holes had been added but when had they done this ?
    This is an example, the D trumpet was very played.
    It can play, D D A D F# A C D E F# G# A B C C# D (notes are not tempered)
    I suppose that other notes can be played with the help of the lips but they don't sound properly on the other hand these natural notes are not tempered.
    So I wonder if holes were added to play tempered music.
    Thank you.

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I'd say if the trumpet had holes it must be baroque. Get it repaired!

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The "G[SUP]#[/SUP]" notated F[SUP]#[/SUP] is "flat" on the natural trumpet. It could be lipped down to an F by a skilled player on the period instruments. The revival of the natural trumpet had instruments built by modern techniques that weren't that didn't lend themselves to this technique and holes were added. More holes were added for security above the staff, and in the hands of Friedmann Immer I don't begrudge him the holes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jYeubL8ZwZw

4. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    Friedmann Immer is a beast !!!!

5. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    Wow!:play::oops:

6. barliman2001

barliman2001 Fortissimo User

Jul 5, 2010
    Vienna, Austria, Europe
    That recording always gets my goat: Friedemann Immer sitting there, unmoved, with a black tie to his tailcoat like an ordinary Vienna coffeehouse waiter ("only gentlemen wear white ties, servants and domestics wear black" when on duty), and performs one of the most difficult pieces in th whole Baroque repertoire as if he were playing Three Blind Mice.
    I want to be able to do that! (Not the black tie, of course!)

7. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    Thank you, when did they add them ?

8. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I believe it was about 1950 or thereabouts when Finke started reproducing natural trumpets. Finke's collaborator, Steinkopf is (I think) credited with the multi-holed trumpets. I could well be wrong--too many high notes, I think.

9. jimc

jimc Mezzo Piano User

May 21, 2009
    Spokane, WA USA
    In my tiny, tiny experience trying to play valveless, I think that a fixed position and expression is about the only way one could coax such a performance out of one of the wretched things. Like playing Jenga with razor blades, lying flat on your back and with the tower built on your bare belly... One false movement and the whole thing comes crashing down in a bloody mess. That is a magnificent performance, btw, and my only complaint about it is that nobody involved seems to be enjoying it much.

10. Lionelsax

May 8, 2013
    That was I said to my pupils when they asked me why the old ugly man wasn't moving on the video.