Holton Heim Size???

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Rick Chartrand, Feb 5, 2005.

1. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hi Toots/Guys

I am playing a Martin Committee T3467, and a couple of Bach's (1c, 3c). I have on order a Holton Heim #2 mouthpiece and am very excited about this :-) I want this piece because I hear it has a very lyrical quality to it and the upper register is very easy, plus this is the baby that Miles played. Here's my question...this is what they say about the size of the #2 on thier site, and nothing more regarding what it is equivilent to.

Cup Depth medium-deep
    Rim Shape medium-wide
    Inside Cup Diameter 15.85mm
    Outside Cup Diameter 26.49mm
    Throat Diameter 3.96mm
    Characteristics For trumpet only. Has a very lyrical sound quality. The response is very even and smooth when playing in a two-octave scale.

Site www.wwbw.com

Do you know what this mm size would be eqivilent to Toots? 1c? 3c? 5c?

Thanks

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Rick,

Take a look at my trumpet mouthpiece chart (in my signature). That mouthpiece is listed on the chart. It is very close in inside diameter to a Bach 10.5 C. It is a pretty small mouthpiece.

Jim

3. diz the wiz

diz the wiz New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    Vaudreuil,Quebec,Canada
    rick,i have the #1 and #2 at home,the #1 is like a 10.5,and the #2 like a 7 but the 2 with a v cup and a anchor grip rim they are very comfortables
    for me,i am a upstream player(the angle of the horn when i play is pointing up)and this kind of mouthpiece is perfect for that,they are similar to the warburton anchor grip. :cool:

4. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Have you had the chance to play an Asymmetric?

Van

5. diz the wiz

diz the wiz New Friend

Nov 15, 2003
    Vaudreuil,Quebec,Canada
    no,i have had a great deal of trouble to find a mouthpiece that fit the structure of my face,i use to sand the width of the rim on my mouthpiece,i like narrow width,if the width of the rim is too large,the rim sit on my gum,(i have very small teeth)when the rim is thin, it sit on my teeth,and when i go to the upper register,i pivot the trumpet upward,and the thin rim allow me to put a little pressure on my upper lip,and it bring it down(the lip)on the botttom lip,so i can go high without to mutch effort,my range is highF,i know it's not mutch but i play in a community band as 1st and it's enougth
    for what i have to play,we don't need to go over highC on most of the charts that we play.

6. Rick Chartrand

Rick Chartrand Piano User

Nov 22, 2004
    Toronto Canada
    Hi Guys

Thanks for the mouthpiece comparison chart Jim. Impressive! :D

Diz, I thought that it was roughly equiviilent to about a 7 or a little higher. Im not getting this piece to further develop my embouchure (as its pretty developed) but rather for the sound and availibillity of the high notes.

Van, I have not had the pleasure of trying an Asymetric mouthpiece yet, but I thouroughly researched this little marvel from John Lynch, and it sound very impressive on his site. I'm curious if I could adapt to the oval shape. How was your assimlation???

You know something thought guys? I'm really thinking about getting a Monette STC-B4. I know thats equal to my Bach 1c in terms of cup size. But $200 is a bit stiff for a mouthpiece. Anyone played this piece??? Is constant pitch center what they say it is?

Unfortunatly I live in a small city of only 300,000 people and the store I deal with which can order Monette is unwilling to order one just for me to try.

I hear that the constant pitch center is quite an improivement over conventional mouthpieces.Thoughts?

Rick AKA Trumpet Man

7. joe brown

joe brown New Friend

Jan 16, 2004
    atlanta,ga/st. croix usvi
    I have both the Heim 2 that Leblanc makes today and an exact copy of the mouthpiece that Vladimir Friedman made for Miles during his later years. They are not a like at all. I also have an original Heim 2 and it is an an exactly like the one Mr. Friedman made at Giardinelli for Miles.
    The new Heim 2 is the size of a 10 1/2 but the Giardinelli and original Heim 2 is the size of a NY Bach 7. The new one plays nothing like the exact copy or the original. Also it is a heavier piece.

8. Heavens2kadonka

Heavens2kadonka Forte User

Jun 17, 2004
    Lebanon, TN
    Apologies for the slow reply.

I personally couldnt get used to the different way you have to play it.

Our lead trumpet player is an upstream player, and after our director forced her to the asymetric, she's SO much better, in sound, control... All across the board. It makes an upstream player play more downstream, and seems to be doing wonders for her!

I'm hazy on the whole upstream vs. downstream idea, so forgive me if I'm treading the waters here...

Van

9. Birdie Z

Birdie Z New Friend

Dec 16, 2010
    Rick,
    Can you tell me where you ordered the Heim 2 mouthpiece and the approximate cost?
    Thank you for your help.

Sincerely,
    Birdie Z

10. nordlandstrompet

nordlandstrompet Forte User

Apr 5, 2008
    Norway