Holton LeBlanc was sold ....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by MUSICandCHARACTER, Jul 25, 2004.

1. MUSICandCHARACTER

MUSICandCHARACTER Forte User

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    http://www.corporate-ir.net/ireye/ir_site.zhtml?ticker=LVB&script=410&layout=0&item_id=595323

Now Steinway owns:

Conn
    Selmer
    Benge
    Bach
    King
    Ludwig
    Musser
    Glaesel
    Artley
    Scherl & Roth
    Hermann Beyer
    Otto Brückner
    Armstrong
    Emerson
    Holton
    LeBlanc
    Martin

And a few other brands. It is sad to see Holton in the mix. I think this will open the door wider for Shires, Edwards, Yamaha, Getzen, Eclipse, and Kanstul. The German horns such as B&S will make a strong presence too.

I think this hurts the Chinese imports greatly. It will be hard to sell crap if Steinway sells decent stuff at a good price. They seem to be consolidating lines in a way that makes some sense. No more Benge trombones. Probably no more Holton trombones (maybe they will keep the popular bass trombones). Who knows about Martin.

I have a Holton horn. I have been a fan of Holton, a company proud of its name and its founder. Now a part of Steinway.

Jim

2. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Now for the rumor mill ....

I cannot find any official reports of this -- but a Conn-Selmer artist said the sale fell through. If I find out anything more (with some confirmation) I'll let the board know.

Jim

3. eclipse trumpets

eclipse trumpets Piano User

Oct 24, 2003
    England
    Thats quite an impressive list Steinway has there Jim :shock:

Its a bit like the Eclipse empire :lol:

So far we have:-

Eclipse and ermm , well thats it to be honest

But i was thinking of trying to buy some of those indian trumpet companies just to make my list a little longer :D

I wonder what Steinway's list will look like in 10 years time?

Maybe some other companies will have been swallowed up? although the current list doesnt leave many to be had does it.

Regards

Leigh

4. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Leigh,

The good thing about this is that I think Eclipse becomes more prominent. Steinway has already made it known that they think the bucks are in the beginner's market. Sure they will carry high end "pro" horns, but that will not be their focus. This may really give the China/India horns a run for their money.

But, I think if you want a high quality pro horn, the smaller shops may be the way to go. You may have to open up a second shop: Total Eclipse or Lunar Eclipse, or maybe Eklipse. :) Maybe a hot new jazz horn called Solar Flare (what got me going?) or a Flugel line called Moonlight. 8)

Anyway, I think Eclipse and the other smaller professional makers will have new markets open up that Steinway will leave open as they attack the beginner's market.

Will you make me a trombone?

Jim

5. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Steinway is the GE of the music business.

BTW Leigh, any more consideration to moving to the states? We'd love to have you!

Greg

6. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Well ....

Some respected people in the know say the sale is as done as done gets on these things. Of course, during the closing process it could still fall through, but no one is expecting that.

Steinway owns a big chunk of the North American musical instrument production. Watch for lines to be consolidated and some eliminated.

Jim

7. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    heres a thought that just came to mind, wont this sale give bach access to the original Mt. Vernon mandrels that were owned by holton? maybe the bach mt vernon is on its way back.

8. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Now wouldn't THAT be interesting. Bach bringing back the Mt. Vernon. It is a great idea. Send it to Steinway. I'll bet that idea has crossed the mind of Leblanc Chairman and CEO Leon Pascucci. He is staying on. Who would make it, Bach or Holton?

What would you call it? An Elkhorn Mt. Vernon? [​IMG]

I guess you could call it a Mt. Vernon. Kanstul makes a "Chicago" model in LA. LA Sax makes their instruments in Texas. The new "Elkhart" horns are made in China or Taiwan. Oh, what is in a name?

Jim

9. mark935

mark935 Pianissimo User

Jan 31, 2004
    Riverside,CA
    BWTM-- (but wait there's more.)

Jim? How about the student line called--- "Half Moon" :?:

10. MUSICandCHARACTER

Jan 31, 2004
    Newburgh, Indiana
    Don't the Chinese make a horn like that ....

No wait, that is half - something else. Fill in the thought. :D

Jim