Holton Society/Club

Discussion in 'Vintage Trumpets / Cornets' started by BrassBandMajor, May 23, 2015.

1. ATrumpetDude

ATrumpetDude Piano User

Sep 15, 2015
    I posted this on the other site too. A good tech can make the right size spring or I have had success taking Yamaha springs and cutting a couple coils off.

2. guy

guy Pianissimo User

Oct 21, 2011
    Québec
    Tk's Dude. It look's like my solution for the springs, for the time being. Guide ideas?

3. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Piano User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah, the rubber washer wont fit. I was thinking just of the inside felts. I am surprised the springs are giving you trouble. I have several Holtons of different vintages including 48s and my Stratodyne with Bach springs.

Holton guides are rather unique. They look common enough, but they are not. My only luck with this has been taking over-size third party (cheap Chinese) plastic guides and sculpting them (the non-offset kind). On the plus side, they have less slop than original brass and wont wear the slot.

Dennis78 and True Tone like this.
  4. guy

guy Pianissimo User

Oct 21, 2011
    Québec
    Thank's...got a link for the easiest import kind to work into shape?
    I guess the come in quantity packs ? so I'll be able to hone my skills

5. Scout

Scout New Friend

Nov 18, 2016
    Indiana
    Holy crap I missed this. It was a $40 purchase on the 'Bay, showed up with sticky valves and a stuck tuning slide. I cleaned as best as I could, but still haven't been able to get it to the shop. I'm just learning, but it seems ok so far. I've got young kids and can't play every day like I should.

Also, it came with the original case, which needs attention, and what looks like original mouthpiece.

True Tone and Dennis78 like this.
  6. guy

guy Pianissimo User

Oct 21, 2011
    Québec
    So I had the chance to do a side by side test play of my new mid 60's 51LB and early 60's B47 at a band rehearsal last night.
    The 51: using a modern Bach 3c, big sound but dark and mellow, open, plays in tune- using a MV 3c copy, bigger sound and even more mellow, but crisp. I tried a Giardinelli 6v and it turns into a flugelhorn, (won't be using my Benge 5 much!) but in tune.

The B47: a bit darker than a Strad 37, but with a nice open easy to blow. Not as mouthpiece sensitive as the 51LB.

That leads me to ask, what mouthpiece would be originally supplied with either of these? what mp do you guys/gals play on these? DSCF6815.JPG

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
    True Tone and Dennis78 like this.
  7. Dennis78

Dennis78 Fortissimo User

Feb 1, 2015
    Cincinnati
    I play a Blessing 1 1/2c or a Frank Holton 1c with my B47

True Tone likes this.
  8. guy

guy Pianissimo User

Oct 21, 2011
    Québec
    Looking for spare models 45 to 51lb parts (C leadpipes/1valve trigger pivot screws & levers-rods/pistons) for late 40's to mid 60's standard valved models, or leads to where to get these parts.
    Looking at a small chache of unwanted/for parts or wall hangers brasses...not too pretty to look at, just pilled on a dirt floor basement area, but could yeld a hand full( with luck) instruments...perhaps just a shot in the dark, who knows. Worth a try...
    PM with have's.
    Tk's

G

Last edited: Oct 13, 2017
  9. Anthony7500

Anthony7500 New Friend

May 23, 2017
    New York
    I'm joining this club! I have a 1906 holton mellophone, a 1923 holton LP alto saxophone, a 1923 left-handed holton revelation, a 1956 holton super collegiate trumpet (copper and nickel belled), a 1954-55 holton super collegiate cornet (brass and nickel belled), and last but not least a 1958 holton super collegiate trombone (copper and nickel belled). Am I qualified enough yet?

https://imgur.com/a/PsP8N sadly I don't have pictures of all of these, though I might get a group photo of all of them tomorrow or Monday.

True Tone, Buddy Cooke and Dennis78 like this.