Holton Super Collegiate Trumpet 1st valve needed.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mlhend2002, Dec 30, 2008.

1. mlhend2002

mlhend2002 New Friend

Dec 30, 2008
    Salisbury, NC
    I recently bought my son a 1955 Super Collegiate trumpet in mint condition. It must have sat in the trumpet case in the owners attic for years. I brought it to a instrument repair shop and had it restored with new pads, etc. I loved it with the fast valves and High register playing.
    Well, so much for fast valves...at least for the 1st valve. My son accidently dropped the firstvalve down cement stairs at school when oiling it and ruined it, according to several instrument repair shops. Remember, these are short valves that are found in only Holton Al Hirt, Super Collegiate and T505 MF trumpet, as far as I know. I have these shops trying to find me a new valve, but College is going to come around soon. The cost of having this valve fabricated would be very expensive and I could just buy another "banged up" super collegiate cheaper than getting this done.

Any suggestions would be GREATLY appreicated.

Thanks,

Mark

2. bagmangood

bagmangood Forte User

If you search ebay you might be able to find one of those "banged" up horns and steal the first valve. Probably the easiest and best solution (and if you need other replacement parts for it, they're right there)

3. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.
    Are you absolutely certain that the damaged valve piston is not repairable? I have had to repair more than a few dropped valves when I still worked as an instrument repair tech. Contact one of the current high grade restoration experts. Mr. Valve, Charley Melk, Osmans, and several others come to mind.

OLDLOU>>

4. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Here is the current ebay page of Holton trumpets. No cheapies now, but they sometimes show up in distressed condition. good luck.
    eBay – Other Brands, Trumpets and Cornet Trumpet items on eBay.com. Find IT on eBay.

5. buzzcutt101

buzzcutt101 New Friend

Dec 30, 2008
    i have a holton collegiate trumpet i played in high school that i am replacing. it is the T602 model bought in 1977. is that something you could use?

6. mlhend2002

mlhend2002 New Friend

Dec 30, 2008
    Salisbury, NC
    I wish a holton colegiate valves would work, but the super collegiate has shorter valves. Hokton MF t505 & Holton Al Hirt Special would also fit. But thanks for the offer.
    Mark

7. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Their is a nice 1955 Holton Collagiate on Ebay right now for under $300 I think it is $235 buy now. I would not mind your old one as a finder fee!!LOL Just let me know when youa re ready to send it my way and I will PM my address!!ROFL!!

Seriously I will keep an eye out for s a valve for you. I run into all kinds of stuff looking for trumpet part's!

8. mlhend2002

mlhend2002 New Friend

Dec 30, 2008
    Salisbury, NC
    Does anyone know if a Holton MF T550 trumpet valve would fit a Holton Super collegiate trumpet. I have better chance of finding a used one and definitely can buy one through Conn-Selmer company. They don't sell to anyone, but a dealer. I wonder what one would cost from them?

Thanks

9. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2009
  10. DeerSlayer555

DeerSlayer555 New Friend

May 25, 2008
    St.Louis
    I'd give ya my valves but when I messed my other set up my repairman had to give me a whole "new"valve block from a junk horn.But I will try and get ahold of him to see if he still has the old set because if I remember correctly the first valve was fine on the set.It was the 2nd and 3rd that were screwed.