Holton Symphony Trumpet

Discussion in 'Horns' started by Travisw, Jul 17, 2005.

1. Travisw

Travisw New Friend

Jul 17, 2005
    Houston, Texas
    I have acquired a Holton Symphony trumpet, apparently built (or at least originally purchased) around the mid 1980's

I have checked the web for information on this model, but cannot find anything about it. The horn has only the model id as "Symphony" with no model number like they use now.

anyone familar with these trumpets, and any comments?

I am a "come back" player and may well decide to do something different this time around as far as what trumpet i use, as I am more interested in jazz then the classical i used to play

any help would be appreciated

Travis

2. musicalmason

musicalmason Forte User

Dec 14, 2003
    Pa
    its a remake of the old Mt vernon bachs. generally a very highly regarded horn.

3. ZeuSter

ZeuSter Pianissimo User

May 22, 2004
    Does this horn have two braces on the tuning slide and the tuning crook. I ask because the early Symphony models made in the early 80's had two
    braces whereas the later models have ony one brace. It doesn't matter
    because both are really fine horns. They are , in the opinion of many
    (myself included) considered to be an excellent recreation of the Mt. Vernon Bach . In fact I think that they play better than the new Bachs, they are lighter than the new Bachs . Great Horn !!

4. DCB

DCB Pianissimo User

Mar 10, 2004
    N. Florida
    What he said. They are indeed great horns... very underrated.

5. Matt_M

Matt_M New Friend

Dec 5, 2016
    Gallatin, Tennessee
    I own this horn. I bought it in 1983. I was in the ninth grade. I had to make payments on it to afford it. I too am about to start my comeback. I am sending the horn out this week for some minor repairs. I used it in college for marching band, concert and jazz. It worked fine for jazz, however I did use another horn with a shorter valve travel for jazz too for faster fingering. It's still my favorite all around trumpet. Enjoy your comeback. I know that I am a lot more disciplined in my old age and look forward to it.

6. BrassBandMajor

BrassBandMajor Fortissimo User

Jan 13, 2015
    London
    Zombie thread alert.....

7. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Two more years and this thread will be a teenager...

8. OldSchoolEuph

OldSchoolEuph Mezzo Forte User

Apr 1, 2011
    Michigan
    Since this thread wont die, lets make a correction: Jim Stella attested online some years ago to being one of the team that reverse engineered a 1980 Elkhart Bach 37 Strad to become the original Bach clone Holton T-101.

A word of warning, having seen this tried - while the design specs are the same, the threads used at Leblanc were different as were some tubing thicknesses and final alignments. DO NOT force Bach parts to fit your Holton or vice-versa. It does not end well.

Sometime in the 90s, they "thrifted" the second brace and a few other details.

9. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Yes, I used to own a Mt. Vernon Bach and a friend of mine bought a Holton Symphony. At a break during a rehearsal one night, I tried test-fitting a few parts from my Bach to the Holton, since the rumor at the time was that Holton had the old Bach Mt. Vernon tooling (which wasn't true). Of course, they didn't fit...;-) The Holton was a good-playing trumpet, though. We switched trumpets for the second half of the rehearsal, so I played it for about an hour.

10. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    I remember playing one at the Holton booth at KMEA in Louisville around 1982/3. I loved this horn and was very pleased with every aspect. Always surprised it wasn't a bigger hit. Played another one in the mid-90s that a buddy had sitting unused for over a decade. Again, I thought it was just a sweet all-around horn. Tried the ST101 and 103 that were 'new' in a store in the '90s and didn't like either as well as those two 101s made in the 80's.