Holton tinkerers

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Dean_0, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Hi :

New here and had a question on what my next move is with this horn 1929 Model 48 revelation.

First thing i noticed when i got the horn was it has a sticky #2 valve ,on upstroke.

So i gave it a nice warm bath ,found some Zaja oil online and reassembled the horn ,everything was great no sticking,until i had played about 15 mins . then the slurs started again,a few days later i did a valve alignment,and installed new corks,by his time i had played it several times,and the valve started to get better,found the hand lapping thing online and used oil and a good work over on that valve ,didn't seem to improve much.

Got a Frank Holton M/P from e.bay no # but it measures nearly the same as my #4 Conn M/P except with a deeper cup and bigger Backbore.

The next session was the worst iv'e ever had with a trumpet,the first 15 mins. er so was pretty good ,then the horn ,or maybe it was me - began to fall apart ,cracking notes in the lower stuff and at times just making wind in the high stuff.

I then switched back to the All Star M/P ( this M/p measures the same as the Conn #4 but is shorter overall like a Cornet M/P) that came with the horn and things got a tiny bit better but by this time into my session my chops were shot ,i rested for longer times but the horn just kept giving me grief so i stopped .

Now where to go from here? i don't want to kill myself to use this horn .

I'm going too try the All star for another session ,and possibly do a T/P lapp on valve #2.

If that doesn't bring her around ,i'll most likely look for a different horn. :evil:

Maybe you guy's have a better idea?
    Thanks
    Dean_0 :play:

2. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Part 2:

I took the time to do a lapping with toothpaste yesterday,let it dry for several hours then reassembled ,This morning i played it for over half an hour and NO STICKY VAVLES :woop:.

With about 3 strokes with the t/p it turned jet black ,after rinsing they were bright and very shiny .

I'm still not sure about the All star M/p but it seems to work well ,so I guess I'll stick with it for a while .
    Thanks
    Dean_0

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The receiver taper is a little different from the modern taper, I find that the original Holton Heim 1 and 2 mouthpieces perform best in my 1928 Llewellen.

Regards, Stuart.

4. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Hi Stuart,

Ive read that about the older Holton's ,

I have 3 M/P's : Holton 7c and Conn 4 ,and an All *Star Trumpet, but it's shorter overall like a cornet M/P, I think it was made by Conn as well?

All three have the smallest bit of wobble ,it's so little that while playing its not noticeable.

I think i also heard the Hiems are pretty pricey but ill look for one in the next few days.

I have a concern about the gap on the leadpipe with this horn ,the Conn 4 and 7c don't go in as deep ,like they do in my Conn horn ,could be why the Holton is a bit tuff on Chops?

Dean_0

5. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Hi Dean,

I am not familiar with the Revelation, the Llewellen does not have a step at the junction of the receiver and leadpipe, just a smooth transition between the two tapers, so there is no gap as such. The Heims have a pretty thin wall at the exit. I have a Vega Mp from the same time, It does not fit or play as well as the Heims.

Regards, Stuart.

6. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Yup Stuart:
    Mine is like that in the leadpipe too ,funny i didn't notice the wobble until you reminded me. seems like there isnt much difference between the 48' and the llewelen's,except the engraving and some have a pinky hook ,mine does not,I'm not sure the third slide thing i have (mine clamps on ,not soldered) is for a music stand or the ring slide but i found one that works there so.

Anyway i'm looking for a heim ,or Revelation mpc now

Thanks
    Dean-0