home recording

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Macman, May 9, 2007.

1. Macman

Macman New Friend

May 9, 2007
    Woodville, AL
    I have been accepted to a boarding school, and I can't bring my huge comp so I'm buying a laptop. I like to do home quality recordings every now and then for that I have an old apple mic made in 1991 or there about, but it is connected via jack. Apple laptops dont have mic jack inputs :-o ... so here's my question has anyone had any experience with USB microphones? and where is a good place to get them?

2. Brekelefuw

Brekelefuw Fortissimo User

Mar 21, 2006
    Toronto
    The new Mac laptops have mics built in to them. The recording quality isn't fantastic, but it should be at least comparable to the mic from 1991 you have.

3. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    .....http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APP...home/mac_accessories/music_creation....(sorry dont know how to post a hyperlink)..... that is mac store. They have some customer review of numerous products...they have a blue usb mic for 100 bucks on there.
    Also, you might want to try other music store sites....they usually have alot of customer review that should give you a pretty good idea...
    musiciansfriend.com
    zzsounds.com
    music123.com
    But I have had a really hard time trying record a trumpet using the built in mic.

4. bluegill

bluegill New Friend

Apr 6, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I use free software that i found online, and a really old mic that i found laying around my house. It connects by a jack and sounds really bad, but i guess the quality varies throughout each recording so it's not always awful. It is really annoying though. But sufficent for a high schooler recording playing tapes for band class i guess.

5. Macman

Macman New Friend

May 9, 2007
    Woodville, AL
    ok Thanks everyone
    for the record I think I'll get this one

6. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    let me know how that works with recording trumpet.

7. Macman

Macman New Friend

May 9, 2007
    Woodville, AL
    it may be awhile I need to get most of the money still :oops:

8. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    I would think about getting a stereo mic - sometimes you may want to record more than just your trumpet and stereo sounds a lot more believable than mono does.
    These mikes are really designed for podcasting and not the recording of live music events.

9. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    You can order USB mic/headphone adapters made by Griffin that come with SmartMusic mics. Funny thing about those though is that in order for the mic to work, the switch has to be on the headphone icon. :dontknow: Then, plug one of those little Sony mics into it. OR.... if you're investing in a laptop, go the extra hundred or so above that Blue mic and get a Zoom H4. They should work with Mac as well as Windows, have USB capability and have some nifty onboard editing features for production; and they're smaller and easier to carry around than a laptop! Trent Austin uses one, as does Alex Yates and few others here as well.

10. Macman

Macman New Friend

May 9, 2007
    Woodville, AL
    cool... I think that would work better, thanks :D