home recording

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Macman, May 9, 2007.

1. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    I agree with this suggestion as well. I have an Edirol R-09, but the flash card recorder idea in general is a great replacement for a dat/mini disc-stereo mic setup. I've also down the firewire interface/laptop solution and while it has it's place, the flashcard recorder is SO convenient and easy to use. The laptop setup is great-very flexible, etc, but a big hassle to lug around and setup, especially if you have instruments to deal with.

Not having to digitize the session is also a plus. I've been spoiled by the "drag copy".

Garry

2. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    I was going to buy a interface and a mic so i could record acoustic guitar and trumpet into the computer and edit with logic. My question is, will the flashcard recorder produce the same quality of sound? I want to make proffesional recordings of my band.

3. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Adam,
    you need to define what "professional" means. I don't know of any recording engineer that would consider a USB mic "professional". To record a band, you will need much more than 2 channels for "professional" results.
    A flashcard recorder cannot give you optimal results because it has to compress the signal to get any quantity of recording time. This compression (very often mp3) is not considered "lossless".
    There are many multi track recording solutions out there. How good depends on how much money you can cough up. M-Audio has a pro USB stereo microphone amp with phantom power for about $200. You then need a couple of good mics and a Mac or PC and are ready to go. Audacity is a great freeware audio editing program also suited for multi track production.

4. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    The Zoom H4 is a PERFECT solution for recording on the go. For $300 you simply won't find a better all-around unit. The internal mics are very good as well!

www.trentaustin.com/soundclips/47april.mp3 (used with two inexpensive Chinese condenser mics and zero effects added)....

When I want better quality I use my Ribbon mic into a Digidesign Mini USB 2.0 box and my laptop. The quality is GREAT (and the mic excellent) and I plan to use this on my upcoming cd projects.
    check out the "steps" clip on my Myspace page... I used this setup for that clip.

Best,
    T

5. gchun

gchun Piano User

Dec 10, 2003
    I can't speak for the Zoom products, but the Edirol R-09 records up to 24 bit, uncompressed.

Garry

6. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I can record 24bit/96KHz on my Zoom. There's no compression lost. The Zoom allows you to record in a massive amount of settings. With 2GB cards you can still get a a lot of time on each card!

-T

7. trjeam

trjeam Pianissimo User

Dec 5, 2003
    Maryland
    m-audio makes a great little preamp/audio interface... i would start with that and 150 dollar mic... you can hook that up to the computer and download a free recording program and get decent quality... at leat it will be better then a computer mic...

8. Adam Smith

Adam Smith Pianissimo User

Jun 23, 2006
    MTSU
    I have logic pro, so i just want to be able to lay down some tracks with a decent mic and also plug my guitar and keyboard into the computer so I can take advantage of all the features and actually make full songs. There is so much stuff out there I just am looking for a simple (and fairly cheap) way to get all my instruments into the computer. Could the flash recorder do this? Sorry macman for straying from the original topic.

9. Macman

Macman New Friend

May 9, 2007
    Woodville, AL
    does it have a on board speaker?

(the scool I'm going to is a christian school so they don't want anyone to listen to rock, to make a long story short they banned headphones :-( )

thats ok Adam

10. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Today my Thomann catalog came. here is a rundown on recorders:

Boss MicroBR: 4 Track/32 virtual track recorder with all sorts of fun stuff. Built in microphone, USB interface, Media: SD cards
    M-Audio MicroTrack 2496: wav/MP3 has 2 inputs for symmetrical mics, phantom power. Also has a headphone monitor output, USB, S/PDIF, 24bit 96KHz. Media: CF card or microdrive
    The Zoom H4 was described above it uses SD card up to 2GB
    EDIROL R1: MP3/WAV, internal stereo mic, 24bit/44khz, mini S/PDIF optical. Media CF card up to 2GB
    TASCAM DP-01: 8 track-can record 2 tracks at a time, 16bit/44khz, symmetrical cannon and phonejack inputs, phantom power, optical S/PDIF, midi, USB. Media: 40GB HDD
    Fostex MR8 MK2: 8 track-can record 2 tracks at a time, 16bit/44khz, symmetrical cannon and phonejack inputs, phantom power, optical S/PDIF, midi, USB(you can also plug a CD writer into the USB port). Media: up to 2GB CF cards
    The prices here are between 200 and 350 Euro

How long can I record?
    uncompressed 16bit/44khz= about 5mb/track/minute 2GB=200 minutes in stereo or 100 minutes in 4 track
    uncompressed 24bit/96khz= about 17mb/track/minute 2GB= 1 hour in stereo

If your goal is computer production, then a box like the M-Audio fast-track pro, Edirol UA-25 or TASCAM US-122 and a decent mic will give you a pro interface for Mac or PC.