Honeymoon is over

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Satchmo Brecker, Aug 9, 2013.

1. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    So I've been hacking away with my (relatively) new CarolBrass pocket trumpet. Love the sound and feel, but... honeymoon is over. It builds up spit or condensation like a rainforest, which I've figured out how to deal with. The 1st valve slide rattles because it's so loose. Fixed that with extra slide goop.

But this last one has me stumped. The 2nd valve sticks down, even when I've just oiled it. What I've discovered is the valve itself rotates a tiny bit even after I "locked" it in after oiling. (You know how you rotate it a bit after oiling until the little pin thingy falls into it's slot). So when it gets rotated slightly as I'm playing, it gets stuck down. What do I do? My old student horn's valves rotate a tiny bit but never get stuck.

2. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    sorry to hear that about your new instrument -- perhaps a tech can look at it. They might be able to build up the little pin so it doesn't rotate at all, then that might solve the problem.

3. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    I'd see about sending it back.

Tom

4. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    Loosen that bottom cap a bit, see if that makes a difference.....

5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Sorry to hear about your difficulties. I've owned a Carol Brass Pocket Trumpet for almost 2 years now. I use it to practice regularly at work.

It's a good trumpet for me, and has held up well. But it's not at the level of my Bach or Getzen horns. Part of this is because it's not a professional trumpet. Another issue might be the design compromise required for Pocket Trumpets in general.

I also have a problem with water buildup. It tends to build up fast (or at least it seems to, maybe because of the tight wrapping). It seems to be worse in cold weather. My approach is to empty out the water early and often.

I also had problems with sticking valves at first. I had the same problem with my Stradivarius after I had the valves rebuilt. I oiled the valves daily. Anytime the valves would stick, I would swap the casings and the valves with a microfiber rag and re-oil the valves. It took a few weeks, maybe a month or so. But after that, the valves worked great.

The case is also on the cheaper side. But hey, it's only a $600 horn. One of the latches stopped working after about a year. I purchased a Guard Cornet Gig Bag, which works great.

Mike

6. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    I had valve issues when I first got my Carol cornet. Same treatment as TrumpetMD stated... Wipe down the valves, swab out the casings, re-oil. They're in great shape now (about 6 months old).

Oh... My cornet also gathers "water" faster than the Hoover Dam.

7. Satchmo Brecker

Satchmo Brecker Piano User

Jul 19, 2010
    Thanks all, I'll give these a try and it's nice to know this problem isn't totally unique to my horn.

8. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    When I have an instrument that gathers water I add a few drops of valve oil down the lead pipe each time I play. It seems to help.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree with Tom... time for an annulment.