Hopeless trumpet players: have you met them?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, Feb 6, 2013.

1. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    All in order:

1. No. I'm used to learn things all by myself. I'm confident that with an intelligent approach everything is possible to achieve. Never had any success with any kind of teachers in my life to whatever area of human activity it applies. If it worked for me (anything) it worked. If it didn't work no teacher could help me.

2. No community bands in this country.

3. 41 years old.

4. From one hour to 1 hour and a half a day.

5. I guess I see what you are getting at with this question but first let me tell you this. I've played a clarinet before trumpet. After one year with the clarinet I had the full normal range up to high G and a decent speed. I enjoyed playing it but unfortunately I had a RSI in my right hand and I needed to pick up a different instrument as a replacement. I know how to play a saxophone but I wanted to learn the trumpet.
    Answering your question: I want to play music as a hobby. I like playing and enjoyng music. I like to play guitar very much also but it's a completely different instrument.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013
  2. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Blessing 10 1/2, a few others also but they all give me the same effective range.

3. A.N.A. Mendez

A.N.A. Mendez Utimate User

Oct 25, 2005
    Sunny Ca.
    The hump.... Does anyone else remember the hump? I do, I played for 2-3 years, very frustrating but I worked very hard and it was not easy, it was not enjoyable. Then, I went over the hump, that day when you pick it up and you can play, not every thing you wanted, but a defining line you cross where it gets easier and you feel the music, you can play stuff like the guys around you that are or were so much better than you...... I remember the hump. It was magic after that.

4. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Wait, wait, wait! Do you really mean that a lot of people cannot play above the staff? Even no high C? Fo myself, I consider the most useful range up to high C. I never think of anything above high C. I like trumpet players like Bix and Bobby Hackett who rarely stretched up to high C and played the most beautiful pop-trumpet music at least to my liking (intentionally calling it 'pop' rather than jazz because they played melodies, not the embelished arpeggios).

5. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    I see... I could give myself more time, I appreciate the note. The problem is it's much easire to believe in 'hump' when you are 20, not 40. Sorry for my language limitations, not really to 'believe' but to know it is what it is and to overcome it.

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    Thanks for your two last answers.
    I feel great sympathy for you, because I too have always progressed by myself, the teachers I had disgusted me more than they did anything else (notice I am a retired teacher, I know what I'm talking about! ROFL).
    I have no diagnosis, I can only tell you that after more than 30 years of trumpet, my upper note was a high C. And one day, ALL OF A SUDDEN, the ceiling opened up while I didn't think anymore : I now climb up to DHC everyday… (Good tone up to high G).

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Watta mean no humps at 40? Humps only get bigger when you get to 40... unless we are talking lovely lady humps in which case atrophy can occur as Mother Nature takes over once again.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Time heals all wounds... and all octaves.

9. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Or, yeah, I remember that famous Dizzy's quote about "trumpet winning for good after you die" :)

10. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    The click occurred for me when I was almost 60 years old (I'm now 69) !

Last edited: Feb 6, 2013