Hopeless trumpet players: have you met them?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, Feb 6, 2013.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Perhaps I need to reconsider my juice of choice.

2. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Don't you dare!! I will be sending you cases of Bombay Sapphire if you dare consider an alternative juice!

(Gin drinkers need to support each other!) ROFL

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OMG!! Thanks for setting me back on the right track... I mean a drink that tastes line Christmas Trees... Now there is a drink... AND with a wedge of lime... no Scurvy chapping for my lips... No suree bub!

And Bombay Sapphire... You sir have class!

Cheers

4. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I myself prefer Hendricks.
    [​IMG]

Sorry, lost focus for a minute. ;)

5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    In favor to the OP and connecting the above discussion regarding gin to the feeling of hopelessness of progressing as a trumpet player.... All I can say is... Gin Helps if it is drunken responsively [my disclaimer... no pu intended using drunken... it is the past tense of drinking... after all we do have an Amendment in our constitution here in the Colonies that give us this right... as long as it does not interfere with the right of other]

Finally, Misty... Misty... if back in the state visiting family in Fr. Wayne... it is only a stones throw away from Dayton... we must meet at a classy pub... somewhere in between our fair cities... so I can introduce to the finer spirits of Bombay Sapphire... I'd invite Recursion to come with... but Cape Coral FL is a bit of a stretch.

6. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    GM, I don't have family there, no real connections anymore. My family is in Georgia, so you can meet me there and we'll sample some moonshine. :)

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Way ahead of you... got me 3 Ball Jars full in my bar... from my recent trip to Gatlinburg TN.... Mom's Apple Pie; Blueberry; and Cherries soaking in pure moonshine...

Check it out: Ole Smoky Varieties of Shine

8. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
    Tis my gin-drinking duty, sir.

Ah, I need to explore this one! Lost focus? Errrr...not at all!

See? It's not just for breakfast anymore. Ha! Indeed, Cape Coral isn't next door. But Georgia's much closer! Moonshine? A sample, just a sample, please. Then I can resume my imbibing of gin. :D

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    since we have hijacked what has been a really good thread ... I have to tellthis short story
    Dated a German Woman who's brother use to visit the homeland and bring back what they called schnapps ... at Christmas they would give everyone a shot raise the shot say broast (?) and shoot it. My daughter ( of legal drinking age) asked if she could taste it ... one sip and she said "THAT IS SOOO WRONG!!" ... I am not sure how much of that stuff evaporated on my tongue before it ever made it down the shoot.
    okay back to the thread
    I wish you could set up even just one lesson, session, anything, with a solid player/teacher.
    I am going to once again go out on a limb..
    I really tend to believe that the mp you are using is not suited for you ... I do reccomend the 10 1/2 C to really young players with thin lips but as was suggested bach 7C, 5C, is a good place to start .... I do not know other brands very well but if someone would chime in on a Wick's standard ... and yes it depends on a player but we generally start somewhere.
    MP placement ... there are great players who can play basically anywhere on their face but generally starting a player out with the lips not too under or over is a good idea. Your dental physiology has alot to do with that as well.

So many good comments on this thread ... I really think trumpet players have to have some mochie ... it's just an instrument that takes alot of "want to"

10. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Thank you EVERY ONE once again for all your feedback, suggestions, stories and advice. That's all a great food for thought.