Hopeless trumpet players: have you met them?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, Feb 6, 2013.

1. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Have I met them? There's one in my bathroom mirror evey morning ...... ahhhhhhhhhh

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    What is Vulgano Brother doing standing in your bathroom behind you? Mwah... ha.. ha.. ha.. ha.. ha

3. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    Dia, I'm sorry but I don't think you will have as much luck figuring this out on yiur own as getting a lesson or two. Even if its with someone on TM via Skype. Please consider it. You have been very dedicated and its clear that you have a passion for the trumpet.

4. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Nyuk! Nyuk! Nyuk! ..................... Cruel but very very funny - I'm still giggling.

5. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Forgive me but I think this says it all ....

- I've learned to buzz the lead pipe (I couldn't in November), two partials;
    - I've learned to play soft (I couldn't in November);
    - I've learned to slur well (I could barely do it in November);
    - I've learned to play below Low C in a relaxed (well, you can't do it otherwise) manner

......... it takes time, and perserverence - one day you'll just be playing a tune and you'll think, how did that happen? The trumpet trip consists of ramps and plateaux, work hard on the ramps, consolidate during the plateaux - time, perserverence, don't knock yourself about with negatives - you can do this - eventually, where eventualy may not be tomorrow or the next day.

In the meantime - enjoy.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  6. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Inspite of my habitual DIY-everything spirit I realize how wise your words are. Maybe I'll manage to persuade myself to do exactly what you suggest or otherwise to take a lesson in person. I'm very stubborn though. Both in good and not so sense of this quality.

7. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Ted, wise words again, sir. Nothing really to add. Except that sometimes to make a right step forward we have to make two steps back.

Time to wrap up this thread?
    Thank you all for your participation, wise words, kind advice and support. Feel free to add comments but I think everything related to my inquiry has been summarised in your replies. I'm back to work, no more whining.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Just one other thing - rejoice in EVERY small step - the journey is part of the fun.

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I'd say the journey is the fun and everything we play, learn, experience is part of the journey.

10. cantplaytrumpet

cantplaytrumpet Pianissimo User

Apr 2, 2012
    Adding to that, where would the fun be if you could already play everything when you started. You wouldn't have the pleasure of growing as a player. :D And that's what it's all about, really. Just stick at it and enjoy the ride!