Hopeless trumpet players: have you met them?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by DiaxII, Feb 6, 2013.

1. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Yeah this dude's a real dunce:

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  2. lou gonzalez

lou gonzalez New Friend

Feb 18, 2009
    henderson nv
    99.99% of the problems the kids i teach have is LACK OF AIR. you should be blowing a hurricane through the horn/your intake should resemble a drowning man coming up for the third time, and sucking his life-saving lungful-take a look at any of the maynard ferguson breathing seminars and you will see him OPEN his throat, sinus cavities, mouth, and drop open that diaphragm floor to let the air rush in like a giant vacuum cleaner does...once you got it in ya,
    if you bottle up air in your mouth, squeeze it out in a very narrow tiny stream that sounds like a mosquito buzz, let yourself
    get a horrible feeling of back-pressure, and maybe even choking-but keep the tiny little gap/buzzy squeal going til you can start it with a deep breath blowing from your feet up through your body-feels like a ton of energy bottled into that tiny little slit/
    this is a start. get a kids baloon, fill it with air, make a tiny gap by stretching the neck tight, and let the air squeal out. thats the feel and sound you are looking for, this will seem dumb at first...persevere. add the mouthpiece. the tiny squeak will build into a nasal nasty buzz-keep the blow strong and even, the buzz will build into a note, eventually.this will "set" you for a buzz somewhere around Bb above the staff, which will be skinnysounding and nasal.
    its only a start, though/buy claude gordons book, put some hours in, and the notes will start to flow...ITS ALL AIR.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2013
  3. lou gonzalez

lou gonzalez New Friend

Feb 18, 2009
    henderson nv
    i started a beginner who was struggling to get more than a "FRUHHHGL" noise somewhere between g and c in the staff with this baloon thing.
    she got some AIR going after i chased her 'round the schoolyard-and that puff added to the squeal became her first really nice sound-an E above hi C
    that scared the crap outta everybody in the bandroom. she got the AIR working, arched her tongue, thought EEE, then IIICCCHHH to get the air to sizzle-she said her tongue was way high in the roof of her mouth/and the air was bottled up like a bomb ready to blow up...she said it was a lot more violent than playing clarinet, which seemed to require a slow even blow...bon chance

4. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    I see there are two approaches generally suggested to get higher.

One is which you expressed in two above posts: 'The drowning man with a kids baloon approach.'. The man capable of peeling the paint off the walls with his razor-sharp ray of a bomb-charged airflow power.

Another approach is what Cat Anderson summarized in a sentence about treating a trumpet like a wooman, gently. In this approach to get to the higher notes I understand you are advised to take deep relaxed breath, exhale like you normally talk and play up in a whisper.

The two however maybe in less contradiction than I think of them.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2013
  5. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Thanks. From this point of view I feel like the happiest 'trumpet owner' in the world! Especially on a bad day when I feel that all my fun hasn't even started yet :)

6. lou gonzalez

lou gonzalez New Friend

Feb 18, 2009
    henderson nv
    don't get confused-the two are NOT exclusicve-el Gato was as violent in his breath as any other tpt in the sections/and his brow as wet, shirt as dark with sweat as the cats around him, he worked his ass off/and he was happier on the jazz chair, being as lyrical and graceful as fred astaire, and as physical...his gentle touch was as much ali as gentle caress/parting hair was somethin' he could do quite easily

7. lou gonzalez

lou gonzalez New Friend

Feb 18, 2009
    henderson nv
    no dont get confused/these are not exclusive/nor contradictions/el gato played with a certain gentle finesse/but he worked up a sweat, and huffed and puffed as he worked his ass off as did the rest of the section/he was happier playing solos on the bop book than he was in the lead or stunt chairs/

8. lou gonzalez

lou gonzalez New Friend

Feb 18, 2009
    henderson nv
    but cats ideas of "gentle" could still end up in the stratosphere and part your hair...and he played on a dime with a hole in it/so the baloon-under-tension is still a vivid picture of the chops vibrating up high...

9. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Oh, sure I undestand that that analogy is relative and what feels like a whoman to Cat may feel like a big hairy man to me (or vice versa, not sure which way it is with no offence towards great Cat). However we are talking about a first lesson here. How many people will successfully blow the high E on their first trumpet attempt using the 'drowning man with a balloon aproach'? 1 out of 10, 9 out of 10, all?
    I don't know, maybe I'm completely useless on trumpet but when I first tried to blow that way I could hardly go up to middle G on the second space in the staff couple years ago.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  10. DiaxII

DiaxII Pianissimo User

Oct 22, 2009
    E.Europe
    Looking at your avatar I reminded myself that I had a copy of the James Morrison's 'The trumpet "his" way' video that I never had an occasion to watch. Yesterday I watched it and admired James' talent to explain concepts in a simple and accessible manner. And what a great sense of humor he has :)
    And I could well be in the company of that 'dunce'. I like the word, never heard it before so had to look it up in a dictionary.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013