hoping to join a band

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by joe7red, Jul 27, 2010.

1. joe7red

joe7red Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2010
    upstate ny
    i'm a comeback player who played through high school and then took a couple of decades off and would like to find myself in something other than my local community band. i don't have any illusions about playing jazz on stage [unless i was deep in a big band trumpet section], but before i get too much older there are local ska, reggae and some rock bands that could benefit by adding a mediocre trumpet player. if there was a band looking to add a 2nd trumpet, i'd be OK; but left to my own devices i'd drown.
    can anyone direct me to a good resource similar to the ambersold jazz series? or perhaps some charts or sheet music?
    thanks,

2. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Hi. Are there any colleges in the area that you could contact the music department? Perhaps you could make some connections in some of the faculty or students that will get you where you want to go. Im just like you and play in a community band in summer and two local college bands durring the school year. Now I have oportunities galore to play in other areas. You will be supprised how much playing oportunity there is if you know others in your same situation and they know about you. Best wishes Larry

3. joe7red

joe7red Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2010
    upstate ny
    Thanks Larry. I'm joining a community band in the fall with some good trumpet players so hopefully it will lead to other opportunities.

4. kingtrumpet

kingtrumpet Utimate User

Sep 20, 2009
    New York State USA
    joe7,
    I have the same problem -- quit for 7 yrs and returning to something after 20 months -- but I don't know what .. I was thinking of joining a community band also
    I heard that helps a lot with getting your timing back, and also looks like it can help meet musical people

5. chrisryche

chrisryche New Friend

Oct 26, 2009
    Starke, FL
    I joined a community band about a year ago and since then I have had multiple opportunities to play with other brass ensembles, quintets, orchestras, etc. all because of the connections I made within the community band. Get yourself out there and get yourself heard. Only good things can come from that.

6. blacklungsjoe

blacklungsjoe New Friend

Feb 15, 2010
    Northern Arizona
    If you wanna join a band what you gotta do is find bands that will let you sit in with them. By playing well with strangers you will prove your value to the rock community and one of the bands might want you full time. So train yourself to play anything by ear and then get out there and play with some rock bands.