Horn Appraisal

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by pmkt16, Aug 4, 2006.

1. pmkt16

pmkt16 New Friend

Oct 24, 2004
    Chicago
    I live in the Chicagoland Area (Northwest) and I was wondering if anyone out there knew of a place where I can get my horns appraised? I am heading down to college in two weeks and my insurance requires me to take out a new policy on my horns which means I need my horns appraised. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

2. TrentAustin

TrentAustin Fortissimo User

Oct 28, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I bet if you called the local musicians' union they'd know the right person for you.

-T

3. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Trent´s idea is good. Another is to go to Ebay and check out what prices have been recently achieved for instruments of the same make/model/age as yours. You could also dig around and see what it would cost to replace the instrument(s) with the same but new (if still made) and insure for "non-depreciated replacement value". That is what I have done with mine.

4. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    Local dealers should have a sort of blue book of musical inst. prices. It gives a new, trade in, and used price for the instruments, if it is a basic brand. It if it an Eclipse, Monette, etc., or a vintage horn, they won't be covered.