Horn cleanliness

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by mgcoleman, Jul 11, 2013.

1. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
  2. tjcombo

tjcombo Mezzo Forte User

Nov 12, 2012
    Melbourne, Australia
    Wow. Thanks for that. I thought I was pretty thorough with my cleaning, but I might have to take gmonady's recommendation to use an isopropyl alcohol rinse bit more seriously.

tj

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Yes, this is likely one of the persons studied in the article I keep quoting regarding using 91% isopropyl alcohol to rinse horns in their final stage of cleaning on at least an every 3 month basis. The actual article is published in the journal, Chest, September 2010. It was an "N of 1" study, the most high validity study design used. The simple treatment of rinsing the horns with 91% alcohol, not only keep the bacteria (atypical mycobacterium) but also fungus (aspergilla) at bay. The authors then cultured multiple other brass player's horns and found the exact same organisms growing on the brass surfaces. If you really want to appreciate the cause and effect of this NPR link, read the original article. It will make you believe.

Ever since reading this, I rinse ALL my horns in 91% isopropyl alcohol. I wash the tubing and soak the valves in a tall pharmacists compounding glass. I use this religiously on all 6 of my horns, no less frequent than every 3 months. As a "side" benefit of soaking the valves, I find it must degrease the dried valve oil that accumulates (I use Ultrapure) as when I put the back in the valve cases with fresh oil, their response is much faster than it was just prior to cleaning.

4. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Trombone players horns are disgusting!! I asked the "bone" player in our band how often he cleaned his horn. Silence for about 10 seconds, then a stumbling answer of maybe once a year???

[​IMG]

5. Recursion

Recursion Mezzo Piano User

Jun 22, 2012
    Cape Coral, FL
  6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
  7. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    I have a friend who hasn't cleaned his Taylor trumpet in four years. Plays great and no observable damage to the horn. Probably pretty gross inside though.

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
  9. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    Wow, I am now a believer. I think tonight calls for a trip to wallggreens for some 91% isopropyl alcohol. Nasty, knowing all that fungus and bacteria is living in the horn. So now a good bath and scrub on the insides. Concluded with a nice alcohol wash down afterwards. Then grease and relube everything on assembly. Thats quite a few horns I have to do.

10. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    I wonder if drinking Everclear (95 Proof) while playing would sterilize the instrument too.....