Horn Demos

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by NickD, Apr 14, 2008.

1. NickD

NickD Forte User

Well, due to some inquiries I've had recently, I started putting up short "horn demos." These are specifically directed at a couple of specific individuals, but I want to share them all with you.

The first demo is my bass trumpet demo. I play a short Snedcor etude on my Getzen bass trumpet with a Yamaha 42B trombone mouthpiece in it.

Nick Drozdoff :: Home on the media page at the bottom
    (as with the others, it is hosted by Youtube and embedded on my site).

I will be doing this with each of my horns, when it is all said and done.

Peace.

Nick Drozdoff

Last edited: Apr 14, 2008
  2. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Thanks Nick,

A picture is worth ten thousand words.

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    Nick,

Great job! I just got one of these puppies....I've got a feeling you've been shedding more than I have so far....=:-)

bigtiny

4. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Possibly stupid question-
    Is a bass trumpet played in Bass Clef, and does it have very different fingerings from a regular Bb?

5. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Very nice indeed ! I believe that's the 1st time I've ever heard a Bass trumpet. At least knowingly.

Thanks Nick !

6. NickD

NickD Forte User

Sorry for my absence, recently, but things have gotten a bit out of hand at school - just busy.

OK, as to reading stuff for bass trumpet, I honestly don't know. I'll have to dig up the trumpet parts for Janacek's Sinfonietta to get a feel for that. I'm sure some more knowledgeable folks here can bring us up to speed as to what key things are written in. When I read bass clef, I read concert parts. When I read treble clef, I treat it like a Bb trumpet (it is).

Now, I just added a second track that I did last night. It is Bass Trumpet Demo 2 - A little bit funky. It is on the media page for my site, at thge bottom.

Enjoy.

Peace.

Nick

7. jazz9

jazz9 Piano User

Dec 5, 2007
    Chilhowie, VA
    Nick, why do you ban comments and ratings on YouTube? You are an absolutely fantastic player, and people would leave you with nothing but good comments.

8. NickD

NickD Forte User

Jazz9!

Man you are SO nice to say that. I can't tell how much I appreciate your kind remarks.

OK why do I disable comments?

I work VERY hard at playing trumpet. If you have been following my thread on the Practice for the Working Trumpeter, you'll see what I mean. I practice three hours per day on top of day gig, family duties and personal activities. When I put up a video like these horn demos, I have a variety of reasons. It boils down to the fact that I want is share the music I love so much. Certainly, I hope some folks will snoop around my site and see that I sell CD's and music there, but the sharing is the primairiy motivation.

So each demo took a lot of prep. I don't do them off the cuff. I practice before I roll tape. They mean a lot to me.

Before I started using Youtube and Myspace to host videos, I checked to see what sort of comments were being made. I noticed that many players whom I hold in the highest reagard would have mostly rave reviews, but there would be the odd snipe in there. That struck me as hurtful. Granted, they were most likley posted by anonymous trolls, but the pain induced could still be there.

I am not proud to say that I am a little sensitive. While I will always accept constructive criticism from knowledgable folks, I couldn't stand blatant attacks on my work, whether justified or not. It just flat out hurts me too much. This is why I have never submitted my CD, "No Man Is An Island" to the ITG or any other resource for review. If they DIDN'T like it and ripped it, that would too painful for me.

I totally accept the idea that music is a mattter of taste; a given piece could be one man's ambrosa and another man's bile, but that doesn't diminish the discomfort. As to reviews, the idea of "it's a matter of taste" rarely plays into the discussion with reviewers passing judgement on one's work with an air of absoluteness.

By posting my music, I realize that risk is involved. However, I don't want to wear a giant kick me sign. If folks DON'T like my work, they are free to never listen again. I won't take offense. It IS a matter of taste. I just don't want the trolls to be in a position of power over me, I suppose.

So, your words here are comment enough for me, Jazz9. You do me a kindness, and I'm grateful to have you as a listener.

Peace man!

Nick

Schwab likes this.