Horn Design Question????

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by 4INer, Jan 18, 2015.

1. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    Maybe a dumb question with an obvious answer but......... Is there a reason other than aesthetic that some trumpets have the second slide with a forward facing tilt while most have a rearward facing tilt? :-?

2. Culbe

Culbe Forte User

Jul 25, 2014
    Normal
    It can't stick out because your hand is there. Which way they put it is probably the way that is most comfortable for the designer.

3. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    The father of the modern trumpet the french Besson was built that way, the only disadvantage is that the water can collect in the crook, with the rear facing loop it is self draining. I dont think there is an acoustical difference.

Regards, Stuart.

4. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    I understand the reason for the tilt (I've been playing one for about 50 years :) ) I'm just curious as to why designers sometimes tilt it forward while others rearward. Comfort may be the only reason. Would resonance differ depending on how your right palm touches it? Do some designers feel it is more open or free blowing if tilted one way vs the other? Am I just thinking about it way to much while watching a pretty boring playoff game???? :)

5. ConnDirectorFan

ConnDirectorFan Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2010
    United States
    Conn Director cornets and a few other models did have perpendicular crooks, but they aren't uncomfortable to hold at all.

6. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    I think the early, early Beeson had forward facing. Some wanting to replicate it have done similar- Benge, Kanstul. I don't think there really is any difference in sound.

7. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Shouldn't be any measurable acoustic effect.

8. mchs3d

mchs3d Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2005
    Provo, UT
    Most C trumpets have perpendicular crooks, albeit they are shorter than those of their Bb counterparts.

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    EVERYTHING makes a difference. I don't believe that it just changes the cosmetics.

The effective diameter of a tube increases at bends and quite a bit on short bends. When we are playing on the 15th to 20th partial, the some of the pressure nodes would fall at different diameters depending on the direction of the slide. That could affect intonation and resonance. How much would depend on a lot of stuff - including how gullible or sensitive the player is!

The reason that the old Besson way doesn't have any more traction has already been mentioned: where moisture accumulates.

10. 4INer

4INer Pianissimo User

Dec 31, 2013
    I know moisture accumulates more in my Benge than it does in my Bach....... But my Benge sounds so much bigger...............