Horn grip affecting resonance and/or quality of tone?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetplanet, Dec 14, 2011.

1. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I agree that if the way you grip is making a difference, it is more an effect of how relaxed or tense your grip may be at putting pressure (without the player obviously aware) on the embouchure.

As an example: I use to find that after reading posts by Kingtrumpet, I was putting a choke hold on my trumpet. At that point in time, my sound would become puny; but then when I visualized KT turning blue than passing out, I would relax the grip, and play with such open, light hearted lines. It was almost euphoric. This has taught me to work past my anger, lesson my grip. So thanks KT, for providing the insight that has made me a more relaxed player, now that I have worked through my anger.

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Due to DuPoutrin's (sp) contraction of my left pinkie (gm will know this) I have changed to the low or pistol grip where the underneath of the third slide rests on my middle finger and the 1st finger operates the throw.

Not only is this more comfortable, it is more difficult to apply left arm pressure to the chops, an all around benefit.

Regards, Stuart.

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Stuart, I am aware of the condition known as Dupuytren Contractures, and as you describe, it is a fibrosing reaction to palm surface ligaments in the hand that causes a "pistol grip" positioning of the hand. It is a condition most associated with men, especially individuals using strong grips and vibrating equipment in their line of work. In my case, it results from me visually tensing up the grip on what ever I am holding at the time when I get the urge to strangle Kingtrumpet after reading many of his posts.

Initially, physical therapy and ultrasound therapy can control this reaction in the early phase of the disease. Surgery tends to be the main stay of treatment; however, here in the States our FDA recently approved of an injectable method of treating using Xiaflex for the treatment of Dupuytren contracture. Xiaflex is a collagenase extracted from Clostridium histolyticum. When this collagenase is injected into the involved tendon, it weakens and dissolves the Dupuytren cords. Stuart, have you asked your doctor as to options to improve the fuction of your hand as I noted above?

4. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
    [​IMG]
    Here is a portrait of Dupuytren.
    Please, Doctor, look at his left hand… Am I fantasizing ?

Last edited: Dec 16, 2011
  5. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Code:

You know, it looks like it could be. I guess the saying, "It takes one to know one" applies here.

6. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
    Yes, but where else can we go and find such a frank, but to-the-point accurate response? I'll accept the admonition of a wise man over the accolades of a fool any day.

7. jbkirby

jbkirby Forte User

Sep 10, 2009
    Dothan, Alabama
  8. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Thank you gm, my medical adviser has suggested surgery but at my age I have decided to leave it as is, if I was still working I would reconsider. In my case the condition is hereditory, my father and both his uncles had it, my Dr said it came to Scotland with the Vikings.

Regards, Stuart.

9. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    In general a thight hand grip will cause the musices in the arm to tense up which cause the arm to pull the horn to your face resulting in more mpc pressure on the lips. The only thing I try too teach my students about grip is: it should be relaxed along with the arms and the shoulders. The wrist on the left hand should be straight so that the weight of the horn is held by the shoulder musiles not the wrist muscles. A bent wrist also makes most players point the horn down.

10. Chuck Cox

Chuck Cox Forte User

Oct 3, 2008
    Cary NC
    I doubt that grip location affects tone. It makes for convenient excuse though. " My grip was really off last night ".