Horn Maintenance Concerns

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Airborne592, Jan 2, 2016.

1. Airborne592

Airborne592 New Friend

Nov 10, 2015
    So, I just recently got a new horn, and I've been wanting to give it a deep clean, just to make sure that it is at its absolute best. However, there is a problem...This horn has a different type of silver finish, and I'm not exactly certain if I should treat like I would any other silver or lacquer instrument. I've sent a message to the company that used to manufacture it, but so far I haven't heard from them. Any suggestions?

The horn is a Blessings BTR-1580B, which my parents bought for me off of MusiciansFriend.com, and it didn't come with any special cleaning instructions.

2. ewetho

ewetho Piano User

Jun 24, 2007
    Kankakee, IL
    If not mistaken just a brushed or satin finish on most of it. Wash the darn thing. It is silver plated just a rough finish.

3. Airborne592

Airborne592 New Friend

Nov 10, 2015
  4. Airborne592

Airborne592 New Friend

Nov 10, 2015
    Thanks. I just wanted to absolutely certain that the horn wouldn't have been damaged in any way

5. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Yes you can.
    Keep valves separate and felts dry.

This covers how to clean it inside out. I would do that with every new horn to be sure that everything comes off and goes on. Also snake it to ensure any manufacturing swarf is removed. Not expected, but sometimes there can be little bits of metal floating around.

Dry and clean. New silver, just use a soft cloth to remove prints and buff up. If any black tarnish showing that can be treated separately, but a soft cloth will work for the first few times. I used to use a Blue Silver cloth for silver plate on a new horn, then just use the soft cloth.

6. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Don't look for an answer from Blessing. It's like any other finish cleaning wise, as others have said. :thumbsup:

7. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    All good advice here. Nice to see someone trying their best to take care of the horn. You might want to get a very soft cloth to wipe it down after playing. I bought a pack of 6 microfiber cloths at Wal Mart. Good for removing hand oils after playing. Don't forget to wash the cloth every so often or you end up wiping on hand oils, instead of removing them. Congrats on your Blessing. Hope it becomes one for you.

8. Airborne592

Airborne592 New Friend

Nov 10, 2015
    Oh, it has been one. Even my director loves it, and he has been a firm believer that the Strads and the Xeno's are the best. He actually prefers it to his Strad XD