Horn pictures

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Wlfgng, Feb 7, 2009.

1. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    How do you all take pictures of your horns? I seem to keep getting reflections from the flash.

I'm trying to take new pictures of my horns for the insurance company and so far they have all been crap.

Thanks.

2. Pakatak

Pakatak New Friend

Turn off or cover the flash?

3. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    Turn off the flash, use some other lights(lamps) to lighten it up and use a tripod with a shutter timer to eliminate bumping the camera.

4. SteveB

SteveB Mezzo Piano User

Nov 15, 2008
    Prescott Valley, AZ
    X2. And, if you need the camera's flash, use a white reflector card in front of the flash at an angle to bounce the light upward.

5. lovevixen555

lovevixen555 Banned

Nov 5, 2008
    Michigan
    Your back ground can make of break the shot as well. If you look on ebay you will what not to do fairly quickly with reguards to back grounds. I feel your pain my only digital camera is basicly a point and shoot. It works fine for most stuff but for close up work it can a pain not being able to select the best optics for the shot. You can start with cloudy scotch tape on the flash if you need the flash but you would be better off with an alternate light source. This is in addition to all the groovy advice you already have recieved.

6. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    Your best bet is to take the picture during the day when there's lots of natural light coming into the room you're taking the pictures in. If it's a nice day you can even take the picture outside, just be careful to avoid direct reflections from the sun.

7. Sturmbill

Sturmbill Pianissimo User

Feb 11, 2004
    Virginia
  8. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    The easiest way is to go outside on a bright day and take the pics in an area not in direct sunlight. A darker, light-absorbing background can look good, but I've seen some very nice pics with white backgrounds, too. Here's an example - this one was taken on a sunny day on my patio under the picnic table umbrella, no flash, with the inside of the case as the background - pretty simple stuff.

[​IMG]

9. TotalEclipse

TotalEclipse Piano User

Mar 2, 2005
    Brisbane in OZ
    [​IMG]
    white background with no flash and using tripod. This was using a point and shoot samsung.

10. Publius_

Publius_ Banned

Jan 21, 2009
    ----
    Dale Proctor I like the engraving on your horn. I have always wanted a horn with some type of engraving I even bought an engraver but I tried it on a piece of sheet metal it came out horrible. I know this isn't relative to the thread but i just had to state that.