horn player on trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by strad116055, Aug 22, 2014.

1. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    i have a good friend whose son playes french horn. his brother plays trumpet. the horn player wants to be in jazz band at school, which is not so easy, given the horn's very limited use in jazz arrangements. he's evidently thinking about picking up his brother's trumpet. my friend, his dad, doesn't want him to quit playing the horn, and is asking me what i know about it, which is very little. what is the collective wisdom here at TM about all this? would appreciate anything you can tell me. thanks...

2. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    I say let him have a go at it. If he ends up losing interest in the horn, so be it. The person deciding what to play should be the player, not the parent.

He may be able to do both, and I can only think of one way to find out.

3. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    It all depends on his personality. If he is reclusive, quirky, afraid of girls, one-dimensional, closed minded, responds to problems by putting a fist in them, or is french, then encourage him to stick with the horn. If he's awesome, however, it's your civic duty to start him on the trumpet.....lol.

In all seriousness, while I would respect the father's wishes to a point, I tend to think the music and instrument are ultimately up to the player, no? I've always thought the trumpet a much more versatile instrument, and most of the cool horn music I've heard is classical. There's some french horn jazz artists out there, but I personally think the sound is a bit incongruous. For whatever that's worth.....

4. FireandAir

FireandAir Pianissimo User

Aug 12, 2014
    There's a really fantastic jazz horn played named Adam Unsworth that this kid could look into. He's really, really good -- got a jazz degree and used to play horn with the Philadelphia Orchestra before going off and following his jazz muse.

5. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    I know a guy whose father was a saxophone teacher, he defended him to play the instrument, on the other hand he forced him to study the bassoon (an instrument he used to hate and still hates), now the guy plays the saxophone (pretty well) in jazz bands as an amateur and as a professional is touring all over the world with a symphonic orchestra.
    I've got another story, my brother is an engineer and works with a guy who plays the French horn, although is working full time in an NNP, some professional orchestras still call him to play and he plays.
    So, unpopular instruments rule.

6. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    I've known quite a few people who doubled on horn and trumpet without any particular problem. I see no reason why your friend's son can't do the same. As far as giving up the horn, he can still play that in symphonic band and play the trumpet in jazz band. And just my opinion, but your friend is wrapped a bit tight--I desperately wanted one of my children to follow me as a trumpet player, neither did. My older daughter played flute and was extremely talented, I would have liked to seen her pursue a professional career--she didn't. Children should be allowed to follow their own musical path and not fulfill a parents unrequited dream.

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    We didn't get any musicians after the wife and I until the middledaughter of our next to youngest son. She's playing flute as a junior in high school, but also doubles on tenor sax for the stage band as well.. Her younger sister is going to start trumpet this year( YEA! A brass player......finally!):oops:

8. Ed Kennedy

Ed Kennedy Forte User

Nov 18, 2006
    My dad was a university brass and theory professor with a Masters in horn and theory from Eastman. He was also a good commercial and dixieland trumpet player as well as a contractor and arranger. I cut my teeth playing gigs with him. I took horn lessons for a while in college and the result was an improvement in my upper register on the trumpet (from working the low register on the horn). So, I say go for it.

9. chapmand

chapmand Piano User

Jul 26, 2010
    Edmonton, Alberta
    I have found that some very good horn players get quite the range on the trumpet - when they switch to the shallow mpc!
    I am a former horn player. I can still switch back if need be... hmmm ... the need has not arisen in quite awhile.
    anyway - I tend to like the more mellow trumpets family insturments: flugel and cornet - and now I'm playing a trumpet with rotary valves...
    maybe i'm not so far from the horn after all!
    I have managed to resist jamming my hand in the bell, though (except when I forget my plunger lol )

Jazz is for any instrument. It is feeling and expression.

10. Churchman

Churchman Mezzo Piano User

Apr 26, 2012
    When 12 I was allowed to start playing the trumpet - I had wanted to for years.
    When 13 I went to a private school, and the bandmaster pointed out that I really wasn't that gifted at the trumpet, in his opinion my style suited the French horn. So I was swapped over to that. He was probably right. I was better at it than I have ever been at the trumpet. However, there was no horn in the jazz band there. I did play swing though - Glenn Miller and the like.
    When 20 odd everything was finally given up.
    Three (four?) years ago, almost 50, I started the trumpet again. I'm still never going to be great at it, and would still probably be better at the horn - but I still don't want to play the French Horn...

Playing an instrument isn't just technique and learnt skill - its in the head as well, and musicality is a giftedness.