horn player on trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by strad116055, Aug 22, 2014.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    Great comments. I agree a French horn player has a good shot at playing the Trumpet and has little negative effect on his horn playing. French horn, sad to admit, is much harder than Trumpet.

2. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    double post.....sorry

3. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    I know a couple of trumpeters who play French Horn, or maybe they're horn players who trumpet, and they seem to be good at both. As for jazz on French Horn? Arkady Shilkloper.

(Arkadiy Shilkloper - MainPage)

--bumblebee

4. bumblebee

bumblebee Fortissimo User

Jan 21, 2010
    Great Southern Land
    ...and it occurs to me that if you want to steer a parent towards supporting trumpet over French Horn all you need to do is leave some trumpet and horn price lists lying around showing the difference in cost...

--bumblebee

5. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    I used to play both. I don't think either hurt the other. Playing both created more opportunities, since they usually needed horn players more than trumpet players. However, there is a much wider range of music for trumpet. I even did a little FH jazz here and there but, let's face it, that was really kind of a novelty. He's a kid. Let him try different things to see what is right for him.

6. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Let me settle this.

Play what you want to play. Play both, and add a trombone and a nose flute too if the fancy takes you.

Don't let (edited word) limit you!

End of.

7. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    I am playing both, having done so for the last 25 years, started on trumpet, bought a French horn. After initial aclimatisation with different fingerings and pitch reading music I have few problems.

The only down side is the principal horn in our Orchestra gives me the parts that go over the stave, she thinks the trumpet playing gives me a better high range on the horn.

Regards, Stuart.

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I didn't see the issue of just how developed -or not- his embouchure is at this stage, discussed. If it's not developed, I would caution against playing both, might mess up what he's developed to this point. Also, just how much time is he willing to put in on both instruments? They might be brass but they're different. I've noticed one problem with trumpeters playing (or opining about) the horn and that's that horn is a lot about sound. Sure, you can get the range, but how rich is the sound? Something to keep in mind.

(Qualifier: I played trumpet throughout school, Horn in college, trumpet and Horn in a military band and now play both, after a long break. I did not overlap these instruments until recently, always keeping them separate in the past.)

9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This assumes that you are right and that the situation fits your very limited view of the problem. In many cases, a horn cannot just "sit in" regardless of talent. The choice becomes a switch or an additional instrument.

My suggestion is to try switching between both instruments for a while. Accomplished horn players often use double horns so Bb fingering is not an issue. Embouchure is a function of practice time. Sound concept is a head thing that sorts itself out for good or bad in short order!

10. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Actually the fingering was the biggest issue I had when learning the horn, I learnt on the Bb side of a Compensating horn, reading directly from F horn music the fingering from middle C to second line G is not the same as Bb trumpet, only G to third space C is the same.

Regards, Stuart.