horn player on trumpet

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by strad116055, Aug 22, 2014.

1. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    The F mellophone is ideal for us dominant right handers, and the fingering is the same for Bb cornet/trumpet, but the sound isn't quite the same as a true French horn on the F side.

2. strad116055

strad116055 Pianissimo User

May 27, 2014
    chicago
    thanks for all the answers, especially from those of you have done both succesfully. the person we're talking about here is a very bright kid with a good ear who has been playing the horn for two years. he has been so successful that he was allowed to go to a double horn in junior high, which normally is put off until high school. i'm sure that when his friends started being recruited for jazz band, he was disappointed to learn that the horn was not used. he'd like to play in a section, not as a single instrument, and for a boy of his age, this peer influenced interest is certainly understandable. my own feeling is that it would be great for him to have the chance to try it out, but i wanted to be cautious about recommending something if it was generally considered to be harmful. perhaps by the time he gets to high school and gets to play the horn in an orchestra, his musical preferences may become established, but even then, i would think that a kid possessing his kind of talent could enjoy playing many different kinds of music. thanks again everybody.

3. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    I played both trumpet an Horn from age 13 through age 25. I went to the University of Hawaii at Manoa on a Horn scholarship. In school played Horn in concert band, orchestra, woodwind and brass quintets. I played trumpet in Jazz Band. Out side of School I giged in every kind of situation on trumpet. I played very little horn outside of school; a couple recording projects and some church gigs.

I stopped playing horn and continued to play trumpet professionally. There were many reasons but the most significant is embrasure. When I was 18 I went to a master class given by Hermann Baumann (mind blowing player) he described all my issues as a horn player. They were all embrasure related. I used a trumpet embrasure on horn; I had a killer upper register but there were issues I could never overcome.

Why not let him play trumpet. He will have a blast, stay off the streets, learn more about music and expand his music employment possibilities. He will need to be aware of the need to use different embrasures for each and cultivate this flexibility.

If he wishes to simply play in the Jazz Band on horn he should transpose 2nd or 3rd trombone parts. He can cover these parts. I have done this as well. If he starts by writing them out this is a great way to learn. The ultimate goal is to be able to sight transpose. I have known several Jazz Hornists. This is a very small field and you must be an incredible player to get work doing this. It is possible but a bit of a singular and lonely path until personal capabilities are strong enough to sit in with a Jazz trio or ensemble.

There is no reason he can’t ride a bicycle and a unicycle they are both fun.

4. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    The part I bolded and italicized is a hoot! My preferences were established by the time I was in high school. But a funny thing happened, and now over 50 years later, my preferences are completely different. What's more is they have changed more than once, in fact several times.
    Broadening one's exposure never, ever hurts.

5. Newell Post

Newell Post Piano User

Mar 31, 2014
    Silicon Valley
    When I played both, embouchure was the main problem, but not insurmountable. When I primarily played trumpet and occasionally horn, embouchure was OK for both. When I primarily played horn and occasionally trumpet, my trumpet embouchure did not remain good. Fingering was no problem since the lower octave of the horn fingers the same as the upper octave of the trumpet. I just needed to play both of them every damned day to keep an embouchure that was competent for both.

6. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    rufflicks
    Re: horn player on trumpet

I played both trumpet an Horn from age 13 through age 25. I went to the University of Hawaii at Manoa on a Horn scholarship. In school played Horn in concert band, orchestra, woodwind and brass quintets. I played trumpet in Jazz Band. Out side of School I giged in every kind of situation on trumpet.

kehaulani:
    Is this a small world or what?

I also entered the UH as a (first) Horn player, having played trumpet, previously, through middle and secondary schools. I missed playing jazz and in the big band so switched back to trumpet. The trumpet prof at the time said that I'd never graduate from the UH as a trumpet player. (He was pissed!) Gauntlet thrown, I said fine, and transferred to North Texas.

Glad to know you had a more flexible prof.

7. rufflicks

rufflicks Pianissimo User

Dec 9, 2009
    Nor Cal
    Dick Lum was old school and an interesting person. I studied from Don Hazzard. I love Don, great guy great teacher fantastic player.

8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    Mister Lum. How'd you guess, LOL.