Horn positioning. Symmetrical or preferential?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by paultandberg, Apr 11, 2008.

1. Brass crusader

Brass crusader Mezzo Piano User

Hi,
    I hold almost all of my horns tilted slightly to the right. Occasionally, when playing, my left wrist is bent at an almost right angle, and the valves are tilted far to the right.
    As far as embouchre goes, if it works, don't try to mess with it. Some of the greats played with technically "incorrect"(I use the term very very loosely) technique.
    Good luck
    cheers

2. paultandberg

paultandberg New Friend

Nov 25, 2006
    Breathing and Golf.

When I find myself turning blue, I start breathing again.

(and, just in case, I stay relaxed and breath in during the backswing. After that, I don't know what the hell happens. ;) )

Paul

Last edited: Apr 16, 2008
  3. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    Aha - my sort of golf too.

I crank my hand to the right so that the back of the hand and the forearm are in line, this tilts the trumpet about 40deg to the right (clockwise) - this is intended to stop tiredness in the left hand, and it makes it a little more difficult to lock up the right hand because it's more difficult to get the RH pinky into the hook (a good thing I think) - my mouthpiece sits just to the left of centre, but I have noted all the other comments and in particular have started to experiment with the position of the music stand.

Thanks to you all - my "TM Tutors"