Horn Section Playing/Doubling Trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Hey People of TM!

Im curious on everyones advice on doubling trumpet and trombone (im mainly a trumpet player), an whether i should double on valve bone or slide bone? Ive been trying slide bone, but valve bone seems better for Horn section.

The main reason why i was asking a lot of this stuff i because i want to become a really versatile horn section player, and valve bone seems really slick for horn section work... But id love to know your opinions!!

Thanks Guys :-)

2. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    OH, and also, do you guys have any suggestions on brands (cheaper options cause im getting started for trombone). THANKS

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Getzen made a Valve/slide combo that goes back to the 70s, and allows you to do both.

Valve trom may not be as cool, but it is an easy unit to play off the trumpet parts. Good for combos as well. The Trom parts are written in Bass Clef, so keep the slide for the Bass Clef.

Olds, Conn and Jupiter made valve troms. Jupiter is a good one (I have one). If I had my time again, I would probably go for a Getzen - if I could find one.

Good luck

4. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Duplicated post

5. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    ...and then there's the third way....bass trumpet ;-)

6. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    I use a marching baritone for this kind of doubling. The new ones made now are designed amazingly well. Check that out as an option!

7. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Interesting post. I bought a bone for a bargain on Ebay and I'm going to pick it up tomorrow evening.

I asked the question about what to buy on a trombone forum (sorry - cheating on you guys over here) and the answers I got were:

Best student model Yamaha 354, next King 606/Conn Director, then Jupiter 432, next Blessing Scholastic/B128.

I was also looking at Chinese-made instruments, just for a cheap starter instrument, and just in case I can't play it! However, I have ended up with an older Besson, which I got for a great price.

8. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    My euphonium is an old Conn Artist, chest huggable type as opposed to the marching type. Too, I use a 6 1/2 AL in lieu of a 12 C (same mpcs as used on trombone and baritone. I find the euphonium covers the range of the trombone well and a bit more. Music for trombone, euphonium, and baritone is generally written in the bass clef and in concert key as does not mean it parts of it could not be written in the treble clef. Presently less frequent, I also play a Yamaha marching mellophone in F with a Larry Kirchner / IYM mpc.

9. Branson

Branson Piano User

Jan 16, 2011
    You’ve asked a very interesting question for I have recently just worked through what you are asking about.

Last Christmas my wife gave me a PBone for Christmas. I have always wanted to play trombone and I practiced every day for about an hour each day. Slowly I gained the slide technique and have been sitting in on jam sessions with the bone, not the trumpet.

To answer your question as to the difference between the slide and the valve trombone, the slide is harder to learn but the valve trombone will never play in tune. There are things on a slide that you can’t do on a valve T-bone and other than easy in learning; the valve T-bone has no other advantages. If you have the time and the desire, learn the slide and become a real trombone player, not just another valve trombone convert.

Here are a couple hints which will help you-

1. Buy a PBone trombone. Once you get the slide working smoothly, you will love the horn.

2. Replace the plastic mouthpiece with a Bach 12C trombone mouthpiece. You will sound more like a real trombone player with the new mouthpiece.

3. Get Reginald H. Fink’s book “Studies in Legato”. This was recommended to me by a friend who taught trombone in my department and it is a great study when learning to get around smoothly on the slide.

4. Read my three posts on the advantages of playing on a trombone for trumpet players.

Has Your Faithful Blogster Turned To The Dark Side? | The Trumpet Blog

Update From The Dark Side | The Trumpet Blog

Another Update from The Dark Side | The Trumpet Blog

5. Contact me if you need advice in getting the slide to work smoothly.

thetrumpetblog.com

10. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    You can have the choice for valve trombone, they can be in Bb or C.

- C if you want to play things written in F clef for slide trombone in Bb.
    - Bb if you want to play like a Bb instrument but an octave lower.
    - You have to learn, euphonium fingering if you've got a Bb valve trombone in order to play what is written for Tenor slide trombone, or you can learn the 2nd line C clef. Bb becomes C on the F clef, B, C#, etc.

If I were you, I would choose the Bb valve trombone.

Just a last thing, in some bands or arrangement, slide trombone parts are written in the treble clef, lower note becomes F# instead of E.