Horn Section Playing/Doubling Trombone

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Mamboman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. rankamateur

rankamateur Mezzo Forte User

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    I thought part of the fun in having a trombone was in wanking the slide in and out. I mean, is a valve trombone actually a trombone?

2. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Very interesting blog posts about the mouthpiece and embouchure. I remember being warned against attempting to play lots of different brass instruments because it would interfere with my dominant trumpet embouchure. Obviously I am now ignoring that advice. I have a friend who plays the tuba and swears that he can blow the trumpet even better after an hour or so on it so...

3. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
    Yes it is, is a valve trumpet a trumpet ? Think about those generations which only knew natural trumpets, what would they think now about the modern instrument ?
    About valve trombone, ask Verdi about it.

4. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    Well my trombone has a slide to play with (I hope). Sod Joe Verdi!

5. Lionelsax

Lionelsax Mezzo Piano User

May 8, 2013
  6. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
    No, it doesn't sound bad at all; it's just not what I envisage to be a trombone. It's basically, just a big-ass trumpet. It has the sound but you can't get those glissandos (if that is what they are called in trombone parlance).

You can't play 'The Acrobat' or 'The Stripper' with valves so what's the point?

7. rankamateur

May 1, 2013
    Merry Ol' England
  8. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    I played bone in the 5 O'clock Lab Band at North Texas my first year there, while my main axe was trumpet. The year before, I was first horn in the U Hawaii Concert Band and years later, even played Eb Alto Horn. Regarding just the possibility in and of itself, in my experience, you just have to approach the Bone by itself, not related to the trumpet (common brass techniques notwithstanding). If you want to play both, you have to make the commitment to the Bone and not neglect it. It's a different animal but perfectly doable. (James Morrison, Maynard Ferguson, Tom Bones Malone, Trombone Shorty, etc.)

The differences in valve and slide bone - I think you just have to decide for yourself how you want to use the Bone and in what musical contexts. IMO, there's no "right, authentic" choice between them. Just, do you want that more liquid, somewhat darker sound that you get from a valve bone, or the (relatively) brighter sound you'll get, along with the other characteristic Bone effects (slide) you can get with the conventional Bone?

I love Urbie Green and I love Bobby Brookmeyer. Your choice, there's no right answer. But ~you~ have to have a clear idea of what you want.

9. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Thanks for that trumpet blog, that was great advice.

Kehaulani, you have made an interesting point, and Bob Brookmeyer is a beautiful player, and I totally dig his playing. But it's such a hard choice between the two instruments. I guess it's really a stylistic thing...

What sounds and looks better in a horn section? (I.e. What's cooler? And what can handle fast funk lines better)

Thanks

10. mickvanflugel

mickvanflugel Forte User

Jul 1, 2011
    Germany
    My thoughts exactly.
    All the glissando fun gets lot with a valve bone I´d say.

I came all the way from trombone to first flugel, then cornet, then trumpet.

Hard to beat the joy of the long slide...

As to recommendations: I have always played Bach trombones,
    but I find the Jupiter student models are reasonable as well.