horn storage recommendations

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by veery715, Apr 1, 2007.

1. oldlou

oldlou Forte User

Aug 28, 2005
    Grand Rapids, Mi.

If one of your horns is going into extended storage be sure to remove all of the slides and the valves. Lube them with a thin coat of most any synthetic valve oil and put them in a couple of zip lock bags, NOT back into the horn. The rest of the horn should be clean and dry. If the storage will only be a short term deal, the valves and slides can be lubed and installed, with the slides pushed in only about half way. It surely makes them easier to get back out after storage if they are only partially installed.

OLDLOU>>

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    This is plain BS. There is NOTHING in a synthetic oil that could devastate anything except the stupid opinion from someone not in the know! This is one of the biggest problems with the internet. I use synthetics on all my instruments, from the 1870s to a new Monette received in August last year. It is the cheapest protection money can buy!

3. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Oldlou,
    yes we are still friends. I will continue the redundance, not to prevent red rot, but to keep the inside coated to prevent further oxidation, and also to keep the tube walls somewhat "moist". This makes the horn easy to pick up after a couple of months and just play. I pay about $6 for a bottle of LaTromba T2 and it lasts 4-5 months, in spite of the "coating".
    I agree with your acessment of Al Cass. I will not let my students use it either

4. qazaq

qazaq Pianissimo User

Feb 18, 2008
    Wait..is Al Cass good for everyday use?

I use it all the time, with no adverse effects...but I have never set it down for a month.

If it is bad for daily use, does anyone have any other (cheap) alternatives? Is this Latromba T2 good for once-a-week valve oiling? (that's my frequency...)

5. rowuk

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    All the horns I own that had Al Cass show much more wear than the ones where only synthetics were applied. Al Cass does not last 24 hours. You need to clean and reoil EVERY day! LaTromba T2 will last a week if you ALWAYS brush your teeth and rinse your mouth before playing. Oil is there to lubricate, but also to flush contaminants away from the valve.

You do not NEED to oil often, your valves will last longer if you oil correctly AND often. It is your decision!

6. qazaq

qazaq Pianissimo User

Feb 18, 2008
    Hmm.. I guess I'll need to bring listerine to school or something... I've got band class right after lunch...

I have had great experience with Al Cass, but yes, I have noticed some wear on my (Monel) valves, nothing to impair their working though.

Guess I'll get some synthetic when I go back to the music store...