Horns on eBay

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by shazib, Dec 27, 2010.

1. shazib

shazib Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2009
    California
  2. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    Dang, I missed it.

3. Rick14A4A

Rick14A4A New Friend

Jul 29, 2008
    Texas
    I look at ebay a lot and have found that if you are wanting a primary horn at a good deal then ebay may not be where you want to find it. Then again ebay is nothing more than a glorified pawn shop. Every blue moon you run across something no one else is interested in and you think you have to have it. I've bought 3 horns off ebay, 1971 Silver Flare for $350, 1905 American Standard Prince (paid more for shipping than I did the horn and has one of the best sounds you'll ever hear from a horn) and I bought a friend's kid a low end King French horn. Now, if you really want to get a horn off ebay and take the chance that the valves are good, then you have to reallly do your homework. If the description is from someone who knows what's what or is a personal horn, then that is the ones you pay attention to. Someone who doesn't know how to describe the condition of the horn increases the risk level 10x or more. There is a LOT of nice looking shinny junk out there. I once saw a Martin Committee that looked like it had gone through a cement mixer and then used in a baseball game as homeplate go for $1500. You have to use your head and ask, is this really worth it or should I wait for the next one coming down the road. Just my 2 cents on bid sites.

4. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Here's one I saw a few years ago - a Conn Director made into a bell-upright cornet.

[​IMG]

5. johnny ray

johnny ray Pianissimo User

May 17, 2010

Are there any particular Ebay sellers you would recommend?

6. kcmt01

kcmt01 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 25, 2009
    Polson, MT
    I know why it didn't sell. They wanted $60 shipping.

7. shazib

shazib Pianissimo User

Oct 1, 2009
    California
    Don't need to share ones that you'll buy, only if you come across a cool or unique horn on ebay, you can post it here :)

8. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    Man, I like that! Is it yours? If it is, how does it play?

9. Rick14A4A

Rick14A4A New Friend

Jul 29, 2008
    Texas
    Those that deal in volume probably have good reps, but that doesnt say anything about the horn. I can rule out a horn probably faster than I need to, but it's not like it's the only one out there. Some on ebay are dealers with shops who are in the refurb business. I know they are out there, but seldom you find a used horn that shines like new money. I'll watch list several and see what kind of activity they have. Sometimes though people have bigger eyes and are must have people. Lot are strickly looking to flip something but there are those who are looking for a good horn to play. There is no substitution for hands on inspection. If you find a seller who allows returns, then you're most likely dealing with a seller you can trust. Now, with that said, don't discount refurbs. I found a guy in NY who is retired and refurbs horns and does an excelllent job. I bought my sons Tempo600 from him and couldn't be happier with it. I found him on Ebay!

10. Dale Proctor

Dale Proctor Utimate User

Jul 20, 2006
    Heart of Dixie
    Nope, I didn't buy it.

So, is this thread supposed to be about weird horns we've seen on eBay, or how to buy horns on eBay?...:think: