Horns used in Division I College Marching Bands

Discussion in 'Horns' started by BigDub, Jan 2, 2012.

1. BigDub

BigDub Fortissimo User

Dec 19, 2009
    Hillsborough, NJ
    This being the Bowl season, you see all these wonderful Marching Bands from these bowl teams. It seems they all have the same "brand" instruments and appear exactly idenitical. If a program decides they want to go with silver horns, everyone has a silver horn- all the way through the lower brass including the Sausaphones.

For example, Wisconsin has all silver instruments (the brass ones), and Oregon has yellow brass-
    Does anyone know if the instruments are part of the Scholarship package and the students are provided with these instruments?
    It would only be fair, after all the football team doesn't have to bring their own uniforms and equipment from home, right?
    The reason I ask is because it's a rare thing to see any of these major University Bands with mismatched instruments, and it would be rather unfair to ask the students to purchase instruments that matched everyone else's.

2. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    I got talking to Mark Kindy about this, he was issued a Yamaha 4335S along with all of the other trumpets. He doesnt get to keep the trumpet though. Maybe Mark or someone else can say some more.

3. cyber_shake

cyber_shake Mezzo Forte User

Jun 16, 2006
    The 'Nati
    Hmmm ... I don't know the answer to your question ... what I do know is that the Ohio State University Marching Band (TBDBITL) requires that specific instruments are used and they are listed on their website in the past (I had been helping a friend who played Euphonium with some lessons and he wanted to play at OSU, so when we looked up audition requirements it mentioned the type of Euph that was to be used) ... I assumed the player needed to show up with the right horn. The audition info that I saw is currently not posted (that I can find) ... but I'm sure others will know more.

4. codyb226

codyb226 Banned

Mar 9, 2011
    Florida, US
    Delegation :thumbsup:

5. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    To answer your question, yes they do. Big schools, especially division one, require everyone to use the same instrument. Many factors come into play, including projection, sound, tuning, and others, which is why most schools do so. Various horns make it somewhat difficult to blend. Yes, every player sounds differently and mouthpieces also play into it but horns is one they can control.

6. Brad-K

Brad-K Piano User

Jun 18, 2011
    All I know is I saw Oregon marching in the Rose Parade today, and they all looked like they were going to Walmart.....sweats and ball caps. I thought it was a disgrace. ...I didn't pay too much attention to them at all after that.
    I mean, the lowest elementary school band has more class and dignity than that.

Wisconsin on the other hand, ROCKED.

7. ConnArtist

ConnArtist New Friend

Dec 16, 2009
    Colorado Springs
    I believe that many NCAA Division I Marching bands have an endorsement with a particular company. The students then "rent" these horns from the school for a very reasonable price for the season, or it is included in their individual scholarship program. For instance, Kansas State will show up at the Cotton Bowl with an all-Jupiter all-silver-plated brass section. Go Cats...

8. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    Yes, you are right about that. They do it in DCI too, Phantom got endorsed by Jupiter, and I hate to say this but the change was dramatic, and not in a good way.