Horrible day

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jul 24, 2012.

1. hhsTrumpet

hhsTrumpet Piano User

Dec 3, 2011
    California
    I had a HORRIBLE day (for trumpet playing) and it's my first one in a while. I've been practicing efficiently for 3 hours everyday this summer and things have been going really well. Today, I was doing some buzzing in The Buzzing Book by James Thompson for warm up and that went alright. However, when I went to play some flow studies on the horn, I couldn't even hit a G just above the staff (my highest note is usually C# or D). I moved on to a tonguing etude, and my chops didn't last half way. The only thing that hadn't changed was my ability to lip slur. I feel like all my hard work has gone to waste, because my playing today was SO BAD. Any advice?

2. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Is this your first time at taking devoted time out for buzzing? If so, I just think you put a little different stress on your embouchure muscle that caused a little bit of a reaction. Don't panic. As you read this, First start massaging your lips gently between a couple of fingers for 10-20 second salvos over about a 5 minute period. Then suck on an ice cube while contacting the back surface of the lip on the cube. After this gets numb (about 10 seconds) take the cube out and massage the front of you lips with the cube for a bit longer (the outside of the lips can take a bit more of the chill). The rest, come back in an hour or so and repeat. Would not hurt to get a gold drink while watching the Tele in between and let you lips rest in the drink.

You should be able to blow again tomorrow, maybe not as good as your baseline blow, but even that will be back in the next day or so. Hope this advice helps.

3. SteveRicks

SteveRicks Fortissimo User

Aug 15, 2009
    Alabama
    We all have days where we say "what the heck happened?" Anyway, whatever changes you made are likely the cause. There are several ways to look at it. Might be that we overdid the buzzing (personally, I'd go with that one). Or, maybe this is just a step to improvement with the buzzing bit. Or, there is some other cause. I'd wait a day. drop the buzzing in your warmup and see how you do. Once back to normal, reintroduce the buzzing very gradually.

4. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Sorry to hear about your troubles today. Sometimes your chops need a break. It could be as simple as that.

On "bad days" like this, don't feel obligated to complete your regular routine. Instead, try some easy long tones, soft playing, or Clarke studies in the lower range of the trumpet. And then put the horn away. Dont overdo it. Less is more.

Do a Google search for "the sunday routine" for more information on this.

Mike

Last edited: Jul 24, 2012
  5. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Good advice from Gary and Steve.

We all have bad days. I had a bad day yesterday and today, probably from heavy gigging over the weekend. So I shortened my practice time a bit, and replaced my chop-building routines with more nurturing stuff. I hope I'm back to normal tomorrow.

Mike

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    yep... which is why pros have to be so good... their bad days have to still be great ...
    Yesterday ... range exercises I was getting up to the Ab above high C ...more whistle toning but it was nice up to the E ... today.. squat ... even the high C's were too much ... I probably over did it yesterday ... so back to long tones.. keeping mostly in the staff ... make sure I am drinking enough water ...
    tomorrow is coming :)

7. AKtrumpet

AKtrumpet Piano User

Jun 4, 2010
    Alaska
    This happens to all of us. Take it with a stride. Be strong and you will come out a better player. Mit Kraft!

On a sidenote, over practicing is never a good thing. Practicing three hours a day is great if you're focused and have the MENTAL fortitude to do so. Otherwise it's just wasted forming bad habits.

The truly great didn't just practice A LOT - they practiced with goals and concepts in mind - and they did so over MONTHS and YEARS.

Ultimately, being dissapointed in your playing and spending considerable time on it just shows that you're deeply devoted to your instrument. Often times it is only after these hurdles that we see development.

Keep on playing and have fun! :D

8. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    this is typical overpractice

try to scale down practice from 3 hours to 20 minutes

20 minutes is enough for an amateur player

3 hours is for proffesionals -and you are not preffesional.

9. mgcoleman

mgcoleman Mezzo Forte User

Jun 22, 2010
    Iowa
    Make sure you are giving yourself breaks while praticing. It is one way of mitigating your chops being overworked. Generally, you should rest roughly the same amount of time you play (e.g. spend 3 minutes working through a technical study passage, rest for a couple minutes).

10. D.C. Al fine

D.C. Al fine Banned

May 8, 2012
    USA
    I 100% DISAGREE WITH THIS!

This is horrible to say, how do you get this logic? I am no pro but I practice for almost this long every day. If you practice for 20 minutes you will be dead in a concert setting. Not many concerts are under 20 mins. I say 3 hours is just fine, nothing wrong with that. You do not have to be a professional to practice for 3 hours. I am sure there are some that dont practice that long!

Also, you spelled professionals and professional wrong. At least spell your reply right.