Horrible day

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by hhsTrumpet, Jul 24, 2012.

1. ultratrumpet

ultratrumpet Piano User

Jul 10, 2009
    Old Lyme, Connecticut
    Old Timers Had Their Days, Too

" Even CBS staff work still provided an occasional chuckle. Once on the Candid Camera Show (which I worked for a long time), I was sitting next to the great trumpet virtuoso Ray Cresara. He looked at me mournfully as he took out his horn and remarked," " You know, I'm getting awfully tired of opening this case and never knowing whether I'll find a friend or a bag of worms."
    George Pee Wee Erwin 1965

Last edited: Jul 27, 2012
  2. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    OUCH!!:-o (English), Jao! (Croatian (maybe :D)), OUCH! (French), OUCH! (Italian), AND Ouch! (German). Anyway you say it, it's OUCH!!! ROFL

3. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon

Frankmike,

Knowing more languages does NOT make you superior. It only allows you to sound STUPID in more languages. :-)

Turtle

4. gbdeamer

gbdeamer Forte User

Oct 16, 2008
    I stopped correcting there.

It's ironic that you're trying to start a flame war about grammar...

5. BrotherBACH

BrotherBACH Piano User

Oct 5, 2010
    Buzzing can be brutal on the embrochure muscles if you over do it. I have the experience where I put too much time into buzzing before I start playing and it can wreck the rest of the session. But, here is an even deeper though that does not just apply to you but to bad days in general. Over the past couple of years, when I read posts about bad days, it always occurs when playing exercises. It seems that we are always pushing the boundaries of our abilities on "exercises". But, if you love music and playing trumpet is means to and end, i.e., making music, you can never have a bad day.

If you feel like you are having a bad day because you are not living up to your expectations while pushing the boundaries on exrecises, just stop. Pull out some songs that you love and try playing them. I guarantee that if you play a song well that you really like, you will wonder why you were so hard on yourself. You have accomplished the goal of what trumpet is all about. A beautiful sound, timing, playing all the notes correctly within the conext of what the music demands is all we should ever strive for. I am equally quilty of forgetting this.

BrotherBACH

6. frankmike

frankmike Piano User

Dec 5, 2008
    avoiding capital letters is hardly a mistake

7. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OH REALLY

oh really

Last edited: Aug 2, 2012
  8. turtlejimmy

turtlejimmy Utimate User

Jun 6, 2010
    Oregon
    They don't have the same impact, do they? Look and learn, FM.

Turtle

9. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I just had a lesson today and was having a pretty bad day. It was probably because yesterday was really good, so enjoyable infact that I certainly overdid it, trying higher notes, even messing around with a picc. Today was ouch! My teacher was very cool about it. His answer: what's your favorite tune? Play it nice and soft. Play it again. At the end it turned out better than it seemed it was going to be at first. Bad days are great learning opportunities.

10. Mamboman

Mamboman Pianissimo User

Dec 28, 2011
    NSW Australia
    Just chill bro. i find i have been stressing WAYYY to much, just relax, you'll come back. You've probably been practicing to much recently.