Horror stories from the pit

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Aug 4, 2006.

1. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    We've ALL got some story about some occasion that at one time was most unpleasent, but is now amusing.

Might be fun to share them...here's mine...from last night:

I normally keep my book in the music pouch inside my case. I was practicing at Crane in one of the rehearsal rooms, and thought :"hmmm...my book is in my case..I've got a few licks that just done seem to be sitting right. Better go over them." So, I did. I gathered up my music at the end of the session, including my book, and put things away to go home.

When it was time to go, I grabbed the usual..case with mute bag and water bottle. And for some reason, my cell phone. (Never bring it 'cause I don't want to forget to turn it off and have it ring). I got into the pit at about 7:35 pm, for an 8:00 pm start. Reach in to grab my music, no music. It was in my music bag...at home. Ever get punched in the gut? Real hard? That's what I felt like. I made a call home...my wife saved the day and ran it over (about a 20 minute drive). The whole time I was waiting I was going over the first 2 tunes in my head, trying to play them from memory. (Just in case). Not too hard... I told the conductor (while sweating bullets...) and he had the show held until the heroic entrance of my wife at the pit door with music in hand...at precisely 8:00 pm.

Guess who is going to be doing laundry for the next month?

2. Eclipsehornplayer

Eclipsehornplayer Forte User

Sep 14, 2005
    Metro Detroit
    Nice one Glenn... :lol:

3. Kenzo

Kenzo Pianissimo User

Nov 18, 2003
    Bristol, Connecticut
    Glenn,

Isn't it great to have such a supportive wife!

I recall one day I had an early afternoon wedding ceremony in Massachusetts and an evening show in NYC. I had time to stop home (in between) drop off the horns I would not need, change my clothes and head to the City. I was about 30 minutes into my commute when I wasn't sure I grabbed my mouthpiece pouch when I switched cases. I pulled over and looked. Yup, no mouthpiece.

Cell phone call home. "Honey, can you meet me 1/2 way with my mouthpiece?"

Needless to say, she saved the day. Although I still get reminded of it (3 years after the fact).

Now I triple check myself BEFORE I leave the house. :D

I guess it goes to show how important a supportive and understanding spouse (partner) can be.

Stay well my friends.

4. tpter1

tpter1 Forte User

Jan 12, 2005
    Northern New York
    There's the moral, eh? Mistakes happen...it's what we do after the fact that matters most.

5. Tootsall

Tootsall Fortissimo User

Oct 25, 2003
    Yee HAW!
    Dont´t forget... NO starch in the shorts!

6. mike ansberry

mike ansberry Forte User

Dec 30, 2003
    Clarksville, Tennessee, U
    I was playing 2nd tpt in the pit for some musical, I can't remember which. There was a big drum set solo in the middle of one of the tunes. (Guys & Dolls?) The set drummer gets it going and gets "out there". Pretty soon I have no idea where he is and I'm very worried about the next entrance. I start looking around the pit and realize that NOBODY knows where the drummer is. We were all sweating bullets, but the conductor pulled us through.

7. John P

John P Piano User

Jun 16, 2006
    Camp Hill, PA
    I was playing in a pit for West Side Story. Near the very end (where it's total silence and Maria's leaning over a dead Tony) my metal straight mute fell out of my bell and hit the concrete floor. You could hear that sucker throughout the entire place. :bash: Man, was that awkward.

8. ROGERIO

ROGERIO Mezzo Forte User

Sep 30, 2004
    PHOENIX, AZ
    NOT A PIT STORY... BUT RELATES TO FORGETING MUSIC...

I did a gig with the Scottsdale Symphony a few years ago...
    (if you are from Phx please don't laugh out loud... I might have some TM'ers fooled into thinking it's a 40+ week season orchestra :lol: )...

anyway... I had just returned from a 10+ year hiatus of not playing... and on the program was Clarke's Trumpet Voluntary. I was okay with that... I had just enough chops to get through each 16 bar phrase...

So here it is, the night of the concert... my wife is happy that I'm playing again and joins me for the 30 minute drive to Scottsdale. Call was 1 hour prior... when I arrive I realize... NO MUSIC.... so off she goes to make the round trip drive of an hour. I tell the music director my sad story... and being who he is... decides to start right on time anyway. Still no music... luckily for me the Voluntary was first on the program. I had history as a full-time trumpet player and like 99.5% of you I had it memorized. I get through it, no problems...

While the audience is still in applause mode... the music arrives. My wife tries to get my attention while I'm standing taking a bow... and being the hugely professional orchestra that the Scottsdale Symphony is... one of the bass players takes the music folder and begins passing it towards me... it arrives just as the applause is softening... then begins again as the audience realizes I had no music...

First time I have ever received bonus applause for memorization.

9. brian moon

brian moon Forte User

A few good ones for sure. Here's mine:

I was playing Oklahoma and one of the guy dancers cartwheeled right in to the 2nd violin section. Luckily it was a HS show and the kid jumped right back up out of the pit and kept going like it was nothing. Oh to be young and spritely. The next few nights the girls that he landed on looked a little wary whenever we got to that spot.

10. giannim

giannim New Friend

Mar 12, 2006
    Once I was playing in the section for "Wizard of Oz". There was a bit of a local legend playing second. In a scene where the wicked witch is first revealed to us he leans over to me and says in a cockney accent : "Cor blimey, its the wife.."
    I don't know why but it cracked me up so much I could not play for at least 3 songs, and the more I kept trying not to laugh the worse it got!