Horror stories from the pit

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by tpter1, Aug 4, 2006.

1. MahlerBrass

MahlerBrass Piano User

Oct 1, 2004
    Houston, TX
    During Guys and Dolls there's a part where a group of dancers take off their robes and dance around in their entertainment attire, well, this wasn't done in the dress, so when they took of their robes and threw it in the pit, it landed on half of the orchestra (including the trumpet/bone section) right in the middle of a stripper dance jazz number, it was interesting to say the least :D

2. trpt2345

trpt2345 Mezzo Forte User

May 21, 2006
    Morelia, Mexico
    Last spring I had a gig with one of my kiddie bands, a Latin jazz band, at a Sunday afternoon concert series in a north shore temple. About 20 minutes before we were to go on I realized I'd left the books back at the school. Talk about feeling like you stepped into an elevator shaft. But we managed to do the whole thing from memory.

There was another time that I got a call for a gig on a Saturday night. Needing a flugel I put my trumpet into the double bag with the flugel but I neglected to put the mouthpiece in the case and wound up doing three hours on trumpet with a flugel mouthpiece. Not recommended, although the leader never knew. The other horn players did give me a hard time, however.

Michael McLaughlin

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
    Mark Twain

3. connloyalist

connloyalist Pianissimo User

May 1, 2006
    Netherlands
    Ever forget your mouthpiece ... for "the big concert"? I borrowed someone else's spare. Very embarrasing. I check that several times now every time I leave home with instrument in hand.

Regards, Christine

4. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    years ago when playing pit in a community theater doing "Minnies Boys" I am playing a flugel on stage while one of the Marx brothers is singing off key and the pit band is to throw veggies at him. The trombone player winged a head of lettuce and missed him, caught my horn in the side and took it away from
    my mouth. fortunitly it caught me from the side and didn't hurt the chops. that got a bigger laugh then hitting the singer. Dave

5. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    Should have used a pencil at the rehearsals for Once Upon a Mattress, but played the ink and roared alla Breve into the number, pulling the orchestra with me. The rest of the run, every night, the conductor would establish eye contact with me, hold up four fingers, and start the number.

6. Nordic Trumpet

Nordic Trumpet Pianissimo User

Feb 8, 2006
    Norway
    It had to be the trombone player! :x