Horse Whinny--Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by andy-rockstar, Nov 5, 2011.

1. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    Veery, I'd of thought you would have sleighed them :roll:

2. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    I tried it both ways... my wife said the 3rd valve only sounds better because it went higher... and it was easier to go up higher.

3. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    We started the ball rolling...But will Nuntaket?

4. Ed Lee

Ed Lee Utimate User

Aug 16, 2009
    Jackson NC
    Well, Leroy Anderson's arrangement of Sleigh Ride isn't what I was brought up on. Mine was James Lord Pierpont's Sleigh Ride[/I ] aka Jingle Bells. My rendition focuses on the sound of the harness bells as I create with multibrass horns exclusively. Not sayin' which is better, but young children as have heard mine like it and that is all that matters to me. Too, not sayin' a horse whinny wouldn't enhance my rendition. What I don't believe one would hear on a real sleigh ride is a horse hoof clop like an iron horse shoe hittiing concrete pavement or wooden flooring. Still I might say I've never heard a horse whinny at the end of the ride ... they snort instead clearing their nostrils and then gasp for air. Believe it or not, I've driven a team of horses on a sleigh ride more than once. It's really treacherous in only the moonlight on unpaved and unfamiliar ground.

5. bengela7

bengela7 Pianissimo User

Oct 17, 2011
    Georgia, US
    i have the horse whinny solo in sleigh ride and was is better valve halfway down or harmon mute

6. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    lose the harmon mute .... you want it to be heard

7. Buck with a Bach

Buck with a Bach Fortissimo User

Dec 29, 2009
    Canton, Ohio
    I concur, no mute. Haven't done Sleigh Ride in a loooong time,HS to be exact. I didn't get the horse then, but learned the whinney. I keep it in the inventory just in case. I use all three part way down..........Buck:oops:

8. ccNochops

ccNochops Piano User

Sep 30, 2006
    White Marsh, VA
    For comic relief, try using a duck call ROFL

9. coolerdave

coolerdave Utimate User

Nov 7, 2009
    San Pedro
    yo know yo ucould just find a trumpet that has a really and I mean really has a bad valve alignment.. then you won't have to half valve anything ....