Horse Whinny

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by nosray, Nov 25, 2008.

1. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Hello there Tmers,
    I have to learn how to play a horse whinny in a song called Sleigh Ride for a Christmas gig, and was wondering on any suggestions on how to improve it. I learned from a youtube video, but I am having a little trouble getting the right sound out. Thanks in advance

2. Bear

Bear Forte User

Apr 30, 2004
    USA
    Go to a ranch, listen to a horse neigh... grab your horn, halfvalve, start on fourth space E or so, blow/shake/half-valve... ta-daaa! listen to the horse... repeat until you sound like a horse!

3. Bach219

Bach219 Mezzo Piano User

Jun 25, 2008
    OH
    Right on the money!lolROFL

4. nosray

nosray Pianissimo User

Aug 28, 2008
    Vancouver, BC, Canada
    ok, will do ROFL:play:

5. deebee

deebee New Friend

May 11, 2008
    Sydney, Australia
    Warning: don't make the sound too alluring to the horse. :-?

6. ozboy

ozboy Mezzo Forte User

Jan 17, 2007
    Australia
    Put your valves half down and shake the trumpet when you blow.( towards and away from your lips)

7. Bob Grier

Bob Grier Forte User

May 4, 2007
    Greensboro, NC
    to really sound like a horse, start higher than an E. start on a G or higher. I've gotten lots of compliments for my horse whinney in Sleigh Ride. To Shake the horn hook your right hand little finger in the finger hook. Hook your thumb under the leadpipe and shake the horn back and forth from your face, not side to side. The more rapid and strong the shake the better the whinny. Don't forget to half valve and fall slowly. the rapid change in mpc pressure causes the shake.