Houston, I have a problem....

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by slugger, Aug 20, 2008.

1. slugger

slugger New Friend

Aug 20, 2008
    Northern California
    Hi everybody!

I'm pleased to have found this web site! This is really amazing. I have been drawn to pick up my horn again for reasons not clear yet. At this point the problem is the horn.

I have a Getzen Doc Severinson model early seventies vintage trumpet and the slides are stuck. What is the safest way to unstick them? I want to get my chops back but the horn doesn't seem to be ready.

Dave

2. skankin'dan

skankin'dan Pianissimo User

Mar 14, 2007
    Winnipeg
    Hola :cool: Welcome to TM.

In my opinion, the safest way to fix your problem is to take it to a professional. Im sure any trumpet shop can do it for you. (and if it's anything like my city, it'll be free :-))

3. bigtiny

bigtiny Mezzo Forte User

Aug 14, 2005
    If you need to do it yourself, here's what I do:

-get some broad shoestrings at the store
    -at the seam between the removable part of the slide and the non-removable part, squirt some valve oil all around the 'crack' and let it stand for a while. We're trying to work some oil down into the slide
    -after waiting for a while, try to remove the slide by hand
    -if it will only come out a little, the apply more valve oil -- it should get down into the slide further....wait, repeat

-if it won't budge then take the shoestring and wrap it around the removable part of the slide a couple of times. If it's a large slide, then wrap it again equidistant from where you wrapped it the first time. In other words, we want to put pressure EQUALLY across the slide
    -apply pressure and pull the shoestring firmly, but slowly DON"T YANK THE SHOESTRING

If letting the valve oil stand in and applying equal pressure won't allow you to remove the slides, take the horn to the shop.

If the slide somes out, make sure and clean it thouroughly and lubricate well before reinserting. Once the slide is back in the horn for a day or so, I'd make it a point to remove and reinsert and generally 'work' the slides on regular occasions to prevent refreezing....

bigtiny

4. Hitman0042

Hitman0042 Banned

Aug 9, 2008
    Australia
    hey welcome new friend lol

5. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
    Hey slugger... welcome to the boards! Bigtiny's advice is the way I would go!

6. MFfan

MFfan Fortissimo User

Sep 13, 2006
    Kalamazoo, Michigan
    Welcome, hope you get your horn and chops going soon! Also, soaking the affected slide joints in penetrating oil like BP Blaster and WD 40 has worked well for me and many others. You can also squirt some down the leader pipe to help from that direction for the tuning slide.

7. slugger

slugger New Friend

Aug 20, 2008
    Northern California
    Thanks for the warm welcome and advice!

I got two of the pipes freed and still soaking the other one with valve oil.

8. tedh1951

tedh1951 Utimate User

Oct 18, 2007
    The Wide Brown Land
    G'day Slugger - another Getzen player - yippee.

9. RGood

RGood Piano User

Apr 20, 2008
    Deep in the heart of TX
    Enjoy that Severinsen Eterna - mine's still going strong after all these years - horn's doing better than my lips are!!!!!

10. oldlips48

oldlips48 Piano User

Mar 1, 2007
    Hey Slugger,

Let me throw in my 2 cents worth for getting slides unstuck.

In my experience you can frequently get slides unstuck with some warming and using the old shoestring or handkerchief trick to "tug" the slide out. My advice is to: 1) Only try this gently on the first and third slides. 2) DO NOT try this on the second valve slide.

On most horns the second valve slide comes straight out, then angles back at about 45 degrees. The danger here is; if you pull too hard on the second valve slide you will distort the second valve casing (in other words, knock it out-of-round). This will result in the second valve sticking.

So if you try this yourself, try the first and third valves gently, leave the stuck second valve slide for the repair shop.