How a flugel is to be played.

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Kujo20, Nov 11, 2013.

1. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010

This is what I was trying to get at. Mike just said it better than I did. The whole point of playing an instrument is to make music, not sounds.

Kujo

2. Kujo20

Kujo20 Forte User

Sep 29, 2010
    Another reason why I started to think about this. My main horn IS flugel. 90+% of the playing I do is on flugel or could easily be done on flugel. So if a certain song might need a little more energy and a bit brighter sound, why not play it with a bit of "trumpetness"?

And I'm not overthinking. Just thinking out loud and prompting some conversation!

Kujo

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    The Flumpet is supposed to play nice and mellow, yet also has the ability to light up. Too pricey for me, so I'll just stick with flugelhorn.

4. trumpetup

trumpetup Piano User

Jan 12, 2009
    Godley, Texas
    When I try to play trumpety on a flugelhorn the resistance backs up on me and I feel like I'm fighting the horn. I prefer a flugelhorn to sound like a flugelhorn. IMO only. You can get a big fat sound on a trumpet with adjustments in mindset, technique, and mouthpiece.
    Bobby

5. gbshelbymi

gbshelbymi Mezzo Piano User

Jan 3, 2013
    Travelers Rest, SC
    I have a German-made flugelhorn that takes a trumpet shank, but it's a shorter shank than a typical trumpet mouthpiece. The one that came with it has a fairly "C-shaped" cup. But I had Giardinelli (70s vintage) make me a custom mpc combining a typical deep flugel cup with a short shank trumpet mouthpiece. Pretty nice sound, but the intonation, especially in the upper register, isn't the greatest. Hence my purchase of an ACB Doubler! :-)

6. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    Personally, I didn't care for Maynard's ventures into other instruments, and he really didn't sound that great on a flugelhorn, IMO.
    Rather, his tone became closer to a "normal" player's tone when he would use a flugel. Why would MF want to sound "normal"?

I hear the same thing in that D. Watkins solo in MacPark. I would have thought it was a "normal" player doing a solo on a trumpet,
    rather than a scream player using a flugel to get a ballad worthy tone if I didn't see the video.

Don't get me wrong, I love screamers, MF especially. But, very few screamers can play a warm flugel horn solo and make it NOT sound
    like they just put a big mouthpiece in their trumpet.

GZ

7. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    GZ ref. Maynard - you didn't like his baritone and valve bone playing?

8. gzent

gzent Fortissimo User

Nov 5, 2003
    Rochester, MN
    :cool:

It was OK for a fun little side show, but come on, he was one of the greatest trumpet players of all time.
    What could he possibly do on some other horn that would be more entertaining than the trumpet?

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    I plug my Getzen mouthpiece into my Getzen fluglehorn and get a really cool, nasty sound.

Kujo, I will send you an mp3 of a song we recently recorded with the quintet that is a very passionate Afro-Cuban piece I wrote for my Daughter. It is played on my Kanstul 1526. The same horn that gave you butter on those ballads I sent you, light fire into this piece.