How about a Rotary trumpet Gallery?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by BrassBandMajor, Apr 23, 2015.

1. gordonfurr1

gordonfurr1 Forte User

Aug 2, 2010
    North Carolina
    Making me envious! And the newest member, the C trumpet, looks dandy in black!
    I can't help but wonder about black nickel plating....I think that would look so cool, also possibly with contrasting slides...and, by George...I'm STILL going to machine me a pocket horn from a stack of walnut blocks. By George. Just wait.

AND...On the rotary flugelhorn...I would need go unsolder the valve block, rotate along the long axis of the horn 180 degrees, and flip it end to end 180 degrees so as to end up with the actuation paddles directly over the bell tube and aimed for left hand use. Having been a horn player, paddles oriented such are wired right into my neural network...and since my right hand barely works now...such is incumbent. I need to find an ugly rotary flugelhorn to try this on first....and YOU are an expert at soldering....hmmmm...

2. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    AND reverse the 1st and 3rd valve loops. If you look through Peter McNeil's gallery you will see the Ambassador I converted to simulate a York Airflow.

Regards, Stuart.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    That horn of Stuart's is a sweetly balanced horn - sits on the thumb, no need for any hooks. Very Special.

4. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Sharp eye, there. Correct, a 40A Connqueror.

Really, just the key brace would need to be relocated and reversed. You've got uniball linkages, if you take a look at the valve block. Then it's a matter of getting the armatures to pull instead of to push. Copypasta this url into another tab and click the picture to zoom in and you'll get an idea of what i'm talking about. You may lose the use of the third slide trigger, but if you've a good "lip", bending is not an issue.

http://i.imgur.com/P4MtSKn.jpg

This one has the sits on the the ball of my palm, very well balanced.

The mouthpiece the horn came with is shorter than a standard trumpet, but longer than a short cornet mp. It's unmarked, has a secondary V cup at the bottom, and a very small, sharp throat. I'm wondering if it's a large Morse taper. I was told the mouthpipe was for a trumpet mp shank, but given the shortness of the mp supplied, i'm not sure. A trumpet mp fits it, but makes it very trumpet-y, yet still "fluffy". Intonation is very even for a fl├╝gel- tune it to C (Bb) in the middle of the staff and you're good to go, but going below the staff with the 3rd valve slide will require either lipping or working the trigger. Everyone who's heard me play it says how mellifluous it sounds compared with my trumpets. It's a small-bore (0.413, I believe, i'll have to get my calipers on it to confirm) and requires a bit more finesse to play high and sweetly, but when you do... Wow.