How about some Kanstul "Chestnut" stories?

Discussion in 'Horns' started by tom turner, Nov 16, 2003.

1. tom turner

tom turner Mezzo Forte User

Oct 25, 2003
    Georgia, USA
    Hi Jack,

Welcome to the TM forums!

As a past, present (and future) purchaser of horns made with the Kanstul "touch" I must say that I've been a fan of those horns comin' out of California since I played my first Burbank Benge waaaay back in '71. I was in the service then as an Army bandsman and, just as soon as I could punt it, I handed back my Army issue Selmer/Bach Strad and bought my FIRST new LA Benge in '72!

Today I'm Flip Oakes' biggest fan and, not surprisingly, Zig's touch is all over that horn too . . . as well as my son's Callet Jazz!

MY REQUEST for some "Chestnuts" . . .

As a vintage horn buff, I'd LOVE to hear some interesting tidbit stories on:

1. The legendary Foster Reynolds (of early York, Reynolds and Olds fame) and his influences on you dad's early career. Foster was one of the greats and if these stories aren't told they will be lost of him.

2. The development of the "later" Olds trumpets (i.e.: the Mendez) when Zig was with Olds

3. Stories of Eldon, Donald and your dad

4. Historical timeline in the development of the Burbank Trumpet Co. (with Donald Benge) and how it evolved into the Kanstul company today.

5. Stories of some of the great trumpet players and designers that you've met through the years.

Thanks, and again . . . glad to have you here!

Tom Turner
    co-Wild Thing Trumpet Moderator

2. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

If you want a nice chestnut story go to www.MUSICTRADES.com. They just did an excellent article for my father's 50th year in the business. It's entitled...From The Largest To The Smallest...KANSTUL Can Build Them All. It will help you see why...Nothing Resonates Like a Kanstul. Nothing!!!

To The Resonance. It's what makes the difference.

Jack Kanstul

3. MPM

MPM Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Jack ... where on that site is the article?

4. JACKKANSTUL

JACKKANSTUL Pianissimo User

It is not up yet. You can request a copy from Music Trades. They have an 800 number listed on the site. It is in the November 2003 issue of Music Trades Magazine. Enjoy the article.

To The Music,

Jack Kanstul

5. Kanstulbrass

Kanstulbrass Pianissimo User

Nov 10, 2003
    Anaheim, CA
    Hello everyone. The article on Zig Kanstul ran in the November 2003 issue of Music Trades, an industry publication that has been published continuously for over 100 years. The article can be downloaded (pdf format only) from the Kanstul Website:
    http://kanstul.net/pages/news.html

This should be required reading for anyone considering buying or replacing a trumpet!

Regards,