how about them high notes?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by FavoriteThings, Jan 23, 2009.

1. FavoriteThings

FavoriteThings New Friend

Aug 13, 2008
    Hello there trumpet players.

I'm a new poster to the board, but have been lurking the board for a few months. I just got a trumpet about a month and a half ago and am learning without a teacher. I self taught myself guitar and piano so i think i could do an okay job with this instrument. i play between half an hour to an hour a day.
    My question is pertaining the high notes. i notice that when i get up to the C in the middle of the staff i have to press the mouthpiece tighter to my mouth, is this normal or am i supposed to have such control over my lips that making i shouldnt be pushing the horn closer to my lips.

If its of any help, i play a ytr 232 with a 7c mouthpiece ( pretty standard set up)

2. Wlfgng

Wlfgng Piano User

Aug 15, 2008
    Canada
    First off: Wlecome to the Forum!

2nd: The trumpet is not an istrument that can be "self taught" like a guitar or piano. There is to much going on all at once during playing, things you may be aware of and things you probablby are not. Find a teacher to help you get started and before you develop any bad habits.

Bad trumpet habits die hard.

3rd: Higher notes - see #2.

If you are serious about playing music, learn theory as well. It can be a PITA but once you start to understand it, it will open doors to you playing you never would have thought of.

3. Darthsunshine

Darthsunshine Mezzo Forte User

Jul 19, 2008
    Seattle, WA
    Playing trumpet is about a lot more than playing notes. The advice to get a private teacher is good advice, since no one here will be able to answer your question without seeing what you're doing.

4. simonstl

simonstl Pianissimo User

Nov 25, 2008
    Dryden/Ithaca, NY
    You're at least right to be asking about pressure. If you're feeling the pressure at the C in the staff, then I'd suggest - from working through a similar place, not from being an expert - that you at least need to slow down and build up more muscles.

(I'm spending a long slow time playing below G most of the time, venturing to higher notes for short excursions. It is getting easier to go up, without the pressure.)

The others may be right - a good teacher could likely help. I was taught early to use pressure, and it was hard to change that later. Definitely try to develop your muscles so you don't need to to push the trumpet hard into your face.

5. s.coomer

s.coomer Forte User

Mar 25, 2005
    Indianapolis, In
    Learning to play trumpet is NOT a DIY activity. You need a good competent private teacher to help you along the way. The advantage of a private teacher helps you to learn faster and avoid many mistakes that can come from trying to DIY.

6. oohhh yeah

oohhh yeah Pianissimo User

Nov 23, 2008
    B.C. Canada
    Yes, as you go higher in the register, you will have more pressure. It's good to play with a relaxed embouchure and less pressure, but it is normal for more pressure the higher you play.

7. TrumpetJ

TrumpetJ New Friend

Dec 28, 2008
    Knoxville,TN
    What he said. Pressing is never a good thing to do, but there will be increased pressure as you play higher. A good solution to reduce the pressing on your face is to push more air, but as these others posts have mentioned, get a private teacher. They can help you with everything you need to know about trumpet playing.

8. et_mike

et_mike Mezzo Forte User

Oct 16, 2007
    Chesapeake, VA
  9. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    Almost all players use pressure of some sort.

I will disagree about you LEARNING to play. Trumpet owners with no formal training FUMBLE around and can get lucky. No more, no less. Granted, we can read about and intellectualize the processes involved. We may even get to the point where some type of pleasure for those around us is even possible. Fact is we could have sped that process up by months or years and reduce the chance of failure by getting a proper start. Why are so many posters here not more interested in doing at least a GOOD job instead of just "getting by".

There are hundreds of posts just like this and they all end up the same: get help or take a stab in the dark. The contradictory advice on the internet does not make anyone that has no idea smarter.

10. jason_boddie

jason_boddie Piano User

Dec 26, 2008
    Jacksonville, FL
    I wholeheartedly agree with the thread so far.

Lessons are important. The Guitar is an easy instrument to "fake" being good at, 4 chords and a capo will get you through most anything commercial. Please don't take me wrong I am not trying to imply that you don't have mad game on the guitar, in fact you could be Eddie Van Halen for all I know. The trumpet how ever is not like that, if you try to fake it you end up sounding like a wounded harp seal. So, get a teacher a lesson or two will slove some basic problems.

Pressure on the C on the staff? First, is the pressure alot different on that C (C5) than the octave below it (C4, middle C)? If it is a very slight difference, I would not worry about it, as many have said a little pressure is normal. However, if it is alot more pressure there are two concerns for me. First, C5 is an awefully low note to have that much pressure on. It should be almost the same as C4 below it, the isn't that much of a difference in the embochure. Second, a good teacher will help you work on that.

Try some long tones, and lip slurs they have help me recently with range and endurance.