How about...

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Msen, Nov 5, 2015.

1. gunshowtickets

gunshowtickets Forte User

Mar 11, 2015
    Tidewater, VA
    Heh.

A deaf man complimented my playing last Sunday, that has to count for something with the "higher, faster, louder!" crowd, right?

2. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    The idea of an interactive database of our members is very interesting. The question is, what are we documenting? For a young player, it could documentation of many things not yet developed, for older players it could be many things never achieved. For the professional or active semi pro, it probably would be a clip from their normal gigs.

I don't think that "improvising" should be a requirement when I think about the flames that even a Wynton Marsalis gets on trumpet forums for his "style". Then again, trumpet forums criticize Sergei Nakariakovs technique, so regardless of requirement there is no guarantee that the clip will be viewed with the intent posted.

Most of the time I need only one post and I know how someone else plays. I think that a youtube channel would be better if it demonstrated all of the correct ways to practice, gave performance tips.

To be honest, I need a pretty interesting post to develop enough interest to want to listen to a video clip...

A start for TrumpetMaster could be the Vienna meeting in June 2016. Maybe we could release some ensemble or workshop clips.

3. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn
    Come on people...we are not documenting anything, nor we are examining if performance is as eloquent as pontification as another member said.

If you have a video of you playing in your kitchen post it, that's all I am saying. Doesn't have to be with a band, doesn't have to have reverb on it, doesn't have to be

recorded with a super mic. Just you and your trumpet. I'd love to see some of you playing

4. kehaulani

kehaulani Fortissimo User

May 14, 2011
    Hawaian homey
    On another forum of which I am a participant, there is a tune of the week thread and it's pretty well participated in. It has been kept alive for at least a couple of years. Those who participate seem to really enjoy it. It's nothing heavy, there's some critical, some friendly, chatter that goes along with some of the posts.

I would say that anyone who would want to start and participate in such a thread should just go ahead and do it. You don't need anyone's permission. Have fun, see how it goes.

5. neal085

neal085 Mezzo Forte User

Sep 6, 2012
    Ft. Worth, TX
    I concur with this assessment. I might be inclined to participate at some point.

6. Msen

Msen Piano User

Dec 28, 2011
    I live in the Horn

Yeah ok, but you are missing the point. I am a member of this forum. I want to hear you guys play

God the Internet...

7. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    I agree.

We can post videos of music we're learning, of performances, tributes, comparisons of different horns, showing off a new horn ...

... or just horsing around, like in the following video (you might need to log into Facebook to see it) ...

https://www.facebook.com/briamusic/videos/949119991804307/

Mike

8. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Especially when you reach my age and the eyes start failing you.

9. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    OK I'll bite. Not in my kitchen but on stage (the world is a stage category) backing up a singer in a venue where my quintet was warming up for a Rick Braun concert:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2XyBZDuOoYs

10. TrumpetMD

TrumpetMD Fortissimo User

Oct 22, 2008
    Maryland
    Very nice.

Mike