How accurate is the Play Test?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by trumpetsplus, Feb 7, 2013.

1. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I have just posted this, questioning the play test:
    ivan?s blog

2. Dave Mickley

Dave Mickley Forte User

Nov 11, 2005
    Indianapolis
    very well put, I've noticed the same when I used to rotate my 3 pro level horns. each one had different notes that were out just a bit and it took about a week for my ears and chops to acclimate to the new horn I would rotate. I would play each horn about 3-4 months before rotating to the next horn and there would always be an adjustment period. I would notice that when someone else would play my horn they might mention that certain notes might be off but sinceI had been playing the horn for awhile I had no problem [my ear and chops were in sync]. I'm an old retired guy now so I only play one horn on a regular basis and I have no issues.

3. chenzo

chenzo Piano User

Jul 18, 2008
    Aust
    I hear you Ivan

this is a little off topic but

Have noticed that when tuning in a Brass band a lot of time is wasted in tuning.
    Mainly for the younger players in the band. It seems to me that a lot of the younger ones or inexperienced will tense up somewhat and play sharp resulting in having the main tuning slide out way to far.
    I really think that the tuning slide should be of the same make and model instruments should be roughly the same and let your ear and chops do the work. If this doesn't work then some adjustment might be needed,Have seen some players with there tuning slide pulled out 3" or more sitting next to a player with the same instrument brand and model.
    This is mainly in younger bands (players) and lower grade community bands.
    I know that there is the exception but not usual. I try and leave the tuning slide as is in all playing unless its blatantly way out of tune.

Last thing.... if one doesn't do the regular practice that is required in have a sable set of chops then all the above is a waste of time.

4. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    Other than I am completely nuts, this is one reason I stick with Buescher horns of a certain age. They all have more or less the same intonation and wide slotting, and that's what I learned to play on. Other horns built to a different intonation philosophy are just too weird for me and life is too short to play horns you don't agree with.

Tom

5. trumpetsplus

trumpetsplus Fortissimo User

Jun 11, 2006
    South Salem, NY
    I totally agree; I wrote about this in an earlier blog
    My Blog

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    So agree Ivan... By the way... I was told by Professor Brookshire that from a reading he quoted, the F (Concert Eb) is the best note from which to tune the trumpet. In so doing, all other notes will be relatively in tune. Have you heard of this?

7. DaTrump

DaTrump Forte User

Oct 21, 2011
    Huntsville, Texas
    I've heard of this as well. You tune the lower F, then high F then D in between.

8. misty.sj

misty.sj Forte User

Jan 27, 2008
    Brisbane, Australia
    I have always found tuning hard, whether on French horn or trumpet, because it's hard not to correct with the lips. It's hard to play "neutral" when you can hear that you're out of tune. It's not like stringed instruments where you're either in tune or out of tune, using open strings.

9. VetPsychWars

VetPsychWars Fortissimo User

Nov 8, 2006
    Greenfield WI
    That's because playing a "tuning note" at your director is pretty much useless. I do that, the director says "sharp", so I look at the tuning slide and play less sharp. When I move the slide? After listening to some pieces and too many notes are out of tune with the ensemble.

Tom

10. Dean_0

Dean_0 Piano User

Jan 21, 2013
    NE
    Interesting discussion :think:

I find that ,well iv'e begun too notice that the first few minutes of practice i'm a little sharp but after i get the horn and chops warmed well i seem to drop right into tune ? well as much as i ever get in tune? :shhh:

Different times i've tried sliding the tuning slide out about 1/2 inch which helps until i start to go sorta flat ,i'm not sure i have a great ear although when i first learned trumpet we had one of those black boxes that had the funky window in it ,every one had to take a turn in front of that thing about every other week , so i dunno if i developed an ear from that or just had it because i listen to a lot of music, but after a few notes even of a new solo,song i can tell if i'm off somewhere,maybe my next purchase should be one of those tuning harp thingy's.:stars:

Dean_0