How am I doing?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by Eeviac, Jan 9, 2008.

1. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

OK you guys are gonna laugh but I've been playing a week now, and I can play "twinkle twinkle little star" starting out with C, (no valves down, that one) and it sounds well .... not bad. I was practicing going C-G-octave C by changing my lips or whatever it's called, and my buddy said I should be able to play twinkle etc and I tried, and I can.

The blue Rubank book kinda bugs me because I think it kind of starts you out on notes that are kinda high .....

Anyway I guess I'm just jazzed because I can play something. I did enough for today, but I think there's some other stuff I can play tomorrow.

2. Warren

Warren Pianissimo User

Nov 19, 2007
    South Africa
    That's good work! Congrats on your first tune. Keep it up. Try to practise your lower notes as often as you can, will help develop your tone.

3. Matt o-iii<O

Matt o-iii<O Pianissimo User

Dec 25, 2007
    Melbourne, Australia
    Fantastic work!
    Keep going and keep being motivated,
    the mistake that I made was to not be motivated for years
    and then I started practicing seriously about 2 - 3 years ago
    taking up several new instruments along the way and wishing
    I'd started practicing earlier (not smart).
    Keep it up, and good luck!

Matt.

4. rowuk

rowuk Moderator Staff Member

Jun 18, 2006
    Germany
    EEVIAC,
    congratulations!
    In the beginning, it is like a baby learning to walk - a bit unsteady. Then all hell breaks loose when the baby becomes a young child and VERY mobile, then comes the teens with "other problems" and finally adulthood, where things settle down and progress becomes slower.
    Keep moving and we will have a lot more positive reports from you!

5. uapiper

uapiper Pianissimo User

Apr 13, 2007
    Hamilton, Canada
    That's great dude. I have been playing hard for about eight months now and I can hit a solid high c, if I scale up to it. I think I have too many mouthpieces.

There is a ton of material that is very easy to play. 8 notes has a website with free music. for some reason I am struggling to memorize fingerings for flats and sharps. I play scales over and over too. Just make sure you practice everyday if possible and you will improve. If you can afford a teacher, get one. They are instrumental in correcting intonation and can help with timing, phrasing and are fun to play with.

Good luck and keep at it.

6. tatakata

tatakata Mezzo Forte User

May 29, 2007
    got any sounds clips :D congrats on the progress

7. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Thanks you guys!

This is funny about the kid learning ..... I was basically blind until I was about 5, so when I got the walking thing learned, well .... it was like putting a new driver in a Ferrari - my body was "high performance" enough to get into some trouble. My knees were perpetually skinned, and running and smacking into stuff seemed to be something I did a lot of. Before that, I just sat and listened, because I could tell where everyone in the house was, even the dogs, by the sound of their walking. I think this is why I'm the only person in my family who's actually musical too.

I know low notes are important, it's all about range. It's pretty hit or miss right now, I keep getting "double buzz" and then it will be great and then go "blurp" or something lol. But I think there's a lot of stuff I plan play with c to c, so that's good. And I'll check out 8 notes too, because I want to learn to read music not just play it from my head (cheating, it's too easy). Real musicians can read the "bugs".

8. veery715

veery715 Utimate User

Mar 6, 2007
    Ithaca NY
    Take all but one mouthpiece and put them in a container of water in your freezer. Pick one which is in the middle of the range of sizes to keep thawed and play it exclusively. At 8 months you have no need to be jumping from one to another. Only honeymoon (read: temporary) benefits are conferred upon you when changing. Your embouchure needs stability and consistency at this point.
    After a couple of years you can thaw them out and switch them around.

And Eeviac - Twinkle, twinkle has started many fine string players on their way to success. Play as much as you can by ear and you will not regret it.

9. Eeviac

Eeviac Piano User

Bach 7C, that's the one for me!

OK guys thanks for referring me to 8notes, they have a trumpet trainer thing that shows you a note and you have to know the keys to press, very very VERY cool! Of course I'm looking at my fingering chart for it lol because I'm new, but it looks like a great way to remember notes....!!!!

10. Toobz

Toobz Mezzo Piano User

Feb 5, 2007
    Good Job Eeviac ! Practice does have it's rewards.

I've been playing music for over 42 years, and I still remember the 1st song I learned on the piano. (Lazy Susan)

uapiper - You might try a chromatic scale from low C to middle C and back down . Just remember to think about each note as you play it. I still use this today on both sax and trumpet as a warmup.
    Once you have it down, try to play it faster and smoother. This simple exercise will force you to play every note , every time.
    It's great for someone who needs to refresh their memory.

Once this gets easier, try extending the chromatic scale to high C.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2008