How and why did you become a trumpet player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by allan birmantas, Sep 2, 2013.

1. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Pianissimo User

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    I will tell my story if there is any interest in this thread.:-P

2. Cornyandy

Cornyandy Fortissimo User

Jan 9, 2010
    East Yorkshire
    When I was about 3 I was given a euph mouthpiece to buzz on, then I found an old cornet. I don't remember not playing there was no concious descision I play cos that's what I do.

3. acarcido

acarcido Forte User

Dec 28, 2009
    Ontario, Ca
    I was in 3rd grade and was asked what instrument I wanted to play when I moved up to 4th grade. In my mind I thought the clarinet was called a trumpet so that is whatI ssigned up for. When school started for 4th grade, I looked at my instrument and argued that is not a trumpet. LOL so im forever greatful I got that wrong. I quickly came to love the sound I could make on the horn.

4. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    OK, I guess it's my turn. 1947, Chicago Il
    I was in the 5th grade at Angel Guardian Orphanage and I heard the band rehearsing. To me it sounded magical. I went to the band room and asked to join. When the music teacher showed up on Monday, which was his day of the week which he came to our school, he looked my teeth and bite over, and said "you will play a cornet". I thought he meant clarinet, but cornet it was. I had no choice in the matter, it was a decision made for me. An Olds Ambassador cornet for me it was.

5. tobylou8

tobylou8 Utimate User

Dec 22, 2008
    Virginia
    My dad's a pro and the horns where always around. Somewhere there's a pic of me at 2 years old "playing" a Martin Committee. The rest is history!

6. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Wow Toby, that is so cool .

7. Martin Williams

Martin Williams Mezzo Piano User

Apr 29, 2005
    Columbus, Oh-hi-uh
    I was always a sax player, even majored in education with it in college. But the marching band at school was all brass, and I also wanted to march drum corps as well...

Long story short I now play trumpet most days of the week, and occaisionally pull the saxes out of the case!

8. Phil986

Phil986 Forte User

Nov 16, 2009
    Near Portland, OR.
    I had an urge to learn an instrument (at 26 years of age, go figure). The trumpet has only 3 pistons, I reckoned it couldn't be that hard :roll:
    Plus I wanted an instrument with both classical and jazz repertoire.

9. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Wow man, talk about "born again" !

10. amzi

amzi Forte User

Feb 18, 2010
    Northern California
    The Band Director, Mr. Jim Markle, walked into class and made the announcement that beginning band would be starting next week and if we were interested we should tell our parents about an evening meeting later that week. He said he needed cornet and trombone players. I picked cornet, got a Getzen Special Deluxe cornet. I took some private lessons with Mr. Markle and by the end of that first year I was playing with the high school's band.