How and why did you become a trumpet player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by allan birmantas, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Pinstriper

Pinstriper Mezzo Forte User

Nov 26, 2013
    Portlandia
    Mine is cross between Damien and faulken's stories.

Round about 6th or 7th grade, they brought a company in for a presentation to the students. Instruments and lessons as a sales pitch (we didn't have a band program, music was nuns, tambourines and those toxic black recorders that tasted like a radiator hose). I was one of the kids that caught on quickly to how to buzz my lips.

Mom wasn't having any of it. "You'll take piano lessons. Nobody ever takes their trumpet out to play for company."

Moms...HUH! Good God! What are they good for ? Absolutely nothin'.

My older brother came home from high school the following year, after a drum corps had made a recruiting presentation there. And came home with a baritone bugle. Shiny chrome. Schwing !

I ended up on a valve-rotor soprano and mellophone, then 2 piston. I've taken up the trumpet hobby Lo! these many years hence. A major regret in my life is ever letting it drop, but work and life will do that to you.

I still get a burst of cognitive dissonance every time I have to mash valve 3 - Like a button in a 747 cockpit, I'm not quite sure what it really does and I'm afraid to press it.

2. PiGuy_314

PiGuy_314 Pianissimo User

Oct 12, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    I don't really remember. I must have asked to play the trumpet.
    Regardless, a trumpet is what they gave me, so trumpet is what I played. :D

3. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    If they offered you 2 trumpets and then you played 4 you would be pi R squared!

4. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    AND you would have an incredible (N + 1)2 problem!!!

5. Katelyn

Katelyn New Friend

Nov 10, 2013
    New Hampshire
    When I was in third grade my father retired from the navy and moved the whole family to NH. I started school here in forth grade and my music teacher saw how interested I was in the various trumpets and other horns around the room. she started teaching me about them and I got some of my friends interested in them. When we signed up for instruments I wanted to play a horn go figure haha. I wanted a trumpet but accidentally put alto sax as my first choice cause I got the names mixed up in the spur of the moment. I was delighted when I found out that I got a trumpet anyway. My middle school band director made most of us quit because he destroyed our confidence. With me it was the fact that he always complimented me and I wondered what was so bad about my playing that he couldn't tell me. I quit after 6th grade. Now I am a freshman in high school and joined back late in the semester with some encouragement from friends. I am now playing euphonium in the concert band and marching baritone. I plan on switching back to trumpet either next year or my junior year depending on how fast my muscle builds back up.

6. gmonady

gmonady Utimate User

Jan 28, 2011
    Dayton, Ohio
    Don't quit on us now Katelyn... were bringing you back... I see signs of life... stay with it... stay with it... OMG... Clear!!!

7. cleandog

cleandog Pianissimo User

Dec 22, 2013
    Rogers, Arkansas
    Hi all I am Joe. I started playing trumpet in the 9th grade. I was going to Catholic High School in Carthage Mo. 1969. I had a music class and the teacher came in and said everyone in his class had to play some kind of instrument. Lots of people wanted to play drums. I wanted to play the share drum or some other drum but when it came my turn all the drum slots were taken. So when the teacher asked me if I played anything I said no but I would like to try the trumpet. Another reason I asked to play the trumpet was because a couple of my friends already had been taking trumpet lessons and I figured we could hang out more if I played a trumpet too. The school had some loner instruments and when it came my turn to pick all that was left was an Ambassador Cornet no trumpets. So I played Cornet while I was at that school I was even allowed to take it home in the summers. Later after school I ended up buying a Con 16B I think, but it was stolen and I never replaced it. I had other more important things on my mind at that point too, her name was Paige. Lost them both.

I am retired now and have time to blow, so to speak, so I have decided after many, many years, (30 or more) to see if I could learn to play a trumpet again. I found a 1950 LA Olds Ambassador in good shape and purchased it and here I am starting over at almost 59 years old.

I have found a retired band teacher and will start taking lessons soon. Feels kinda funny but what the heck, what do I have to lose.

Thanks,

PS Happy New Year and I hope 2014 is a great one for you all.

8. waylon101

waylon101 New Friend

Jul 9, 2012
    Illinois
    A house next to my Grandmother's was selling a German Made York Trumpet for $20 its was worth more in a garage sale that we happened to walk by. The stars aligned, I happened to see it, took interest, mom paid for it with her last $20 and I just happened to be starting the 5th Grade in a few months (In my district band starts at 5th grade). Was thinking about quitting band until I fell in love with the High School Jazz band.