How and why did you become a trumpet player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by allan birmantas, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    How? : Opportunity came aged 8 at primary school
    Why?: I suspect the most honest answer would be "I could make loud noises with it"

2. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Pianissimo User

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    Looking at those instruments you listed, seems like you're pretty serious about the whole trumpet thing.

3. Vulgano Brother

Vulgano Brother Moderator Staff Member

Mar 23, 2006
    Parts Unknown
    It was 1967 or so, the intersection between Woolard Road and Little Spokane Drive, in a 1964 Ford Galaxie 500 driven by my mother and I heard Herb Albert for the first time on the car radio, and it sounded sooo good and sooo happy. It was love at first hearing. I changed my mind about playing drums next year in beginning band, and chose the trumpet.

In the summer between my sophomore and junior year in high school I took lessons from our band director, also a trumpet player and heard Chase for the first time, then Don Ellis and Maynard. Using the Maggio system I got to the C above the C above the staff (which we called double C) although I played with a bunched chin like Jerry Callet promotes. School was a slam dunk, and so easy to get A's I decided to major in the one thing that wasn't easy--the trumpet, even though I was full of testosterone.

I went to the same college my family had attended and decided to major in music, and maybe become a band director. My trumpet professor was surprised when I showed up at his studio (evidently not on his list of new students) and the only skill set I had was playing high notes and reading music. While changing my embouchure to a correct one, I was the designated screamer in Marching Band and played lead in the second Jazz Band and first trumpet in Symphonic Band.

At some point I discovered classical music and having a teacher who was super critical, knew the literature and also had the most amazing sound to emulate, I went that direction. I was fascinated with how we learn trumpet, so after gaining my B.A. I made Brass Pedagogy my Master's theme. Turns out, I discovered (in my opinion) that playing the trumpet could be a mystical experience and that Zen concepts helped.

After my Masters I won a chair in a regional orchestra and a local brass quartet, which really refined my ears. I met a German lady, fell in love, and moved to Germany to be her husband. While she was at school teaching I practiced around six hours a day. After playing a wedding one of the party gave me the business card of her son's teacher. Turns out the Süddeutsches Blechbläserquintett was the quintet is where the son's teacher taught. We played a bunch of fun concerts and even toured Japan. Through that one contact I started getting calls for gigs, which led to some more tours, and I also got a reputation as a "springer," playing concerts by sight, a lot of them Bach cantatas. One day I slipped on some ice and injured my right front tooth, and wasn't able to come back to my original playing level. Got involved with TM, and one day was asked to be a moderator. It is fun, for the most part, and I really enjoy our community here.

Juarez-MA and bumblebee like this.
  4. Sethoflagos

Sethoflagos Utimate User

Aug 7, 2013
    Lagos, Nigeria
    I take a trumpet just as seriously as a wife, Allan. If they're there to stay, they may as well be nice ones ;-)

5. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    What a great story. Not only is it interesting but it shows how much things can change if you try. I cannot overstate how impressed I am with your accomplishments. It really puts me in my place, although I'm sure that was not your intent. Sounds like you are, ore were a real Trumpetmaster.

6. Dupac

Dupac Fortissimo User

Aug 19, 2008
    Bordeaux, France.
  7. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    When I was 7 I wanted to do clarinet like my friend but the spaces were full, so I chose the trumpet as there were only 3 'buttons' and it was shiny haha :) and 9 years later here I am ;-)

8. allan birmantas

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    And you have just begun! Have a great journey Jack.

9. JackTheMusician

JackTheMusician Pianissimo User

Aug 14, 2013
    UK
    Thank you :) My dream would be to be a big band player but who knows?! Haha :)

10. larry tscharner

larry tscharner Forte User

Apr 30, 2010
    dubuque iowa
    Jack, I like your style. Best wishes.