How and why did you become a trumpet player?

Discussion in 'Trumpet Discussion' started by allan birmantas, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    Good question...

Got too good at Bugle. ...so..

And I still don't think of myself as a trumpet player - more a trumpet owner and custodian. Some day, maybe I can master the trumpet.

Some Day..

2. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Pianissimo User

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    You own all of those instruments? You surely must play.

3. Peter McNeill

Peter McNeill Utimate User

Jan 30, 2009
    Melbourne Australia
    I try hard.:-)

4. Shadrack

Shadrack New Friend

Jan 5, 2013
    NYC area
    My dad played Latin music (tres guitar) for the Fania record label. I remember seeing his band practice in a studio as a small child and was mesmerized by the horn section. The power and "clave" rhythm put me under a spell. One of the horn players gave me an old Rudy Muck mouthpiece and taught me to buzz. I still play with a Rudy Muck 40 years later. I purchased an old horn from a pawn shop with money from my paper route and started lessons with one of my dad's band mates shortly afterward.

5. xjb0906

xjb0906 Piano User

May 2, 2009
    Charlotte NC
    I used to stay up late and watch Doc on The Tonight Show. Started in 7th grade and played through high school. Stopped playing until about four and a half years ago.

6. odd67ar

odd67ar Pianissimo User

Apr 30, 2010
    Oslo, Norway
    My grandfather played,my father played and I started to fool around with my elder brothers horn when I was 5.
    Have been playing ever since

7. Stefen

Stefen Pianissimo User

Apr 1, 2013
    Sutton Bridge, LINCS. UK
    I start at age 11, I chose the trumpet after my aunt played me some Glenn Miller, we only had classical music at home. I kept playing during the early years because I got to miss some of the "boring" lessons at school whilst I had my trumpet lessons, I also managed to have additional lessons which meant less of the "boring" lesson.
    I left school and went straight into a life of trumpet playing and it is still the most enjoyable part of my life (not including my family of course).

8. ExtraTeeth

ExtraTeeth Pianissimo User

Nov 13, 2008
    Perth, Western Australia
    First week in high school, there was a concert by the band to promote the music programme.
    The kid on first trumpet took a solo on 'Big Spender' (come to think of it, an unusual choice for children) and I just thought 'That's for me'.

9. stumac

stumac Fortissimo User

Oct 19, 2008
    Flinders Vic Australia
    Played Tenor Horn and cornet 1946-50 in a country brass band reformed after WW2, 1985 our son playing drums in a small church band told the music director I had a cornet at home, it was in high pitch so I bought a Bundy trumpet after a year bought a Selmer B700 which I am still playing amongst others.

Regards, Stuart.

10. allan birmantas

allan birmantas Pianissimo User

Aug 24, 2013
    kewanee.il
    So many reasons at so many ages. Fascinating!
    Glad I started this thread.